Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Red "Low Coolant" Light Flashing!!

My GF just called from her workplace, the red "low coolant light" on her 2009 Impreza with 32,000 miles started flashing. Is the "low coolant light" the same thing as an "overheat" light? She says that there is plenty of coolant in the overflow reservoir. Anything to check, besides the fans? Should I have the car towed to dealership? I might take a chance if there was a gauge I could monitor, but I don't like idiot lights. Thanks for your help.

I'd have someone check the actual radiator.

On the DOHC's the bottle could be overfilled as a symptom. Although I think the 2009's have the later HG problem of weeping coolant loss.

Other than that check the sensor and it's plug. On VW's they have an issue wth "coolant egress" I beleive they call it where the bottle will crack and contaminate where the sensor plugs into the harness.

09 Impreza gets a SOHC engine.

If the warranty is valid, have it towed to a dealership. A tow bill is cheaper than doing head gaskets.

Doesn't the 2009 take the blue coolant as well? I agree with Dave, physically check the radiator after a cool down.

Found this article in a google search, it states it covers Forester but I would bet the same principle applies.

http://www.subarumanuals.org/subaru-2020.html

This is The Dude's GF posting - we towed my Impreza to the Subaru dealer in Columbia SC last night. It had started to lose way too much coolant to chance driving it. They found a hole in the radiator, which the service manager told me was caused by the fan eating through it. The estimate is $639 to replace it, which we feel is a bit exorbitant. Part is quoted at $360 (not in stock, an extra $35 if I want it by tomorrow) and labor @ $112 an hour. $40 for blue coolant, and an extra $45 poke in the eye just for looking at it. (Not applicable to the rest of the charges.) I've already contacted Subaru America, as I feel this is a existing defect that took 44,000 miles to manifest. My guess is that this particular Impreza hit the dock just a bit too hard coming off the ship, as I had a great deal of trouble with the heat shields rattling during the first 6 months I had the car. On the fifth trip to the dealer, they had to drop the entire exhaust system and reinstall everything to get it tolerable. It still sounds like a magnitude 4.0 or better earthquake when I accelerate going uphill.

Any thoughts on alternative parts/repair options, should Subie America not assist with my pain?

I believe SOA should cover this under warranty: getting them to do so is another matter. Yell, cajole, threaten, sweet talk: whatever gets them to do it, or go elsewhere. The prices they are quoting are outrageous.

If the fan ate through the radiator, I believe it should be covered under the manufacturer's defect clause. That's not normal: something had to either come loose or be misaligned from the beginning to cause this. I'd look to the exhaust work they did before as causing the tweaking to the fans.

Dude's GF here again - SOA agreed to pick up half the tab for the repair as a good will gesture, which I accepted. I'm already down the cost of one tow, and another would just further add to the cost. I doubt the dealer would be happy having The Dude install the new radiator in their parking lot.

I would like to thank everyone who posted on this thread. Columbia, SC is not New York City, or LA. I think that a shop labor rate of $112 p/h is pretty damn high for this area.

You don't have a high density of Subarus in most of the deep South. So, good indie repair shops that handle Subaru are very rare, or impossible, to find. I would use a good indie shop in a heart beat. This is the fourth dealership that has had Subaru in the Columbia area in the last 12 years.