Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL bounces when idling

Its idling around 700rpms and I felt like asking, before I replace stuff that I've replaced not that long ago, if anyones had this random problem. The bounce it has when idling is just horrible, can't look at your phone because you move too much haha. Thanks

bounce.. do you mean idle is going up and down?

Try spraying "silicone spray" into idler valve located on the front of the Throttle body (Carberator). Pull up on the 7/8" hose in front of the throttle body that runs up to air filter and shoot in spray into idle valve...

If that is the issue.. this should help... If this has nothing to do with your issue... I fain failure to unfocused details and lack of critical, need to know information.

Edited by Indrid cold

bounce.. do you mean idle is going up and down?

Try spraying "silicone spray" into idler valve located on the front of the Throttle body (Carberator). Pull up on the 7/8" hose in front of the throttle body that runs up to air filter and shoot in spray into idle valve...

If that is the issue.. this should help... If this has nothing to do with your issue... I fain failure to unfocused details and lack of critical, need to know information.

That is a bad idea.

You stand a good chance of killing the O2 sensor by spraying silicone into the intake.

I`d check compression on the "bouncy" motor.

It comes out the other end ;). Or did you mean starter fluid or some sort of cleaner?

Based on the information given, which is sketchy at best... but posted by "..88GL" I took a stab that he was talking about his 88 GL. I could be wrong but dove in anyway... if it didn't apply to his described issues.. I am sure he is a smart guy would figure that out.

I had a similar issue where engine wouldn't hold idle and caused shaking as it tried to adjust for idle on my "Single point fuel injection" 1.8, 88 GL. A well seasoned hand on here gave me this exact advice (pull up on hose, shoot silicone spray into Air Idle valve, put hose back on.)... which I did.. and cured the problem.

Just trying to pass along what worked for me. If there are issues to this then it is above me and possibly a solution more fitting to the cure could be displayed by those that have voiced a cautionary concern to the aforementioned suggestion.

Being I was given said advice by a respected member on this board, used suggestion and proven to work (I actually continued to do this as a pre-winter maintenance step) I meant no ill will in passing this along. All I am doing is forwarding what worked well for me and by all appearances to be tame on potential causal damaging effects to other engine components.

If there are detrimental effects to this... I am unaware of them but it does not mean their could be.

It would be nice to hear if "ABawm88Gl" has fixed his rough running? Shaking? bouncing engine?????

Edited by Indrid cold

88 gl 4wd spfi. My engine mounts are fine but I will try what Indrid mentioned after school today. Also a guy I know (Who really does know his old soobs) Said it might be my front struts, I'm lowered just on springs and my struts are dying so is it possible that they would make it more likely to bounce at low rpms? Only reason why I doubt that is because it stops as soon as I bring it up to around 1k.. Sorry I wasn't specific before but I'll post later on results, thanks!

88 gl 4wd spfi. My engine mounts are fine but I will try what Indrid mentioned after school today. Also a guy I know (Who really does know his old soobs) Said it might be my front struts, I'm lowered just on springs and my struts are dying so is it possible that they would make it more likely to bounce at low rpms? Only reason why I doubt that is because it stops as soon as I bring it up to around 1k.. Sorry I wasn't specific before but I'll post later on results, thanks!

It is entirely possible it is a suspension problem. At low idle the car may developing a standing wave, like what a guitar string does when it is in tune. Or a tuning fork, how it seems to grow louder after several seconds as opposed to when it is first struck. After several seconds you could conceivably, at the right frequency (idle speed) have vibrations that resonate with something in the suspension or mounts and cause bouncing. If this is the case, it should also happen at multiples of that speed (700, 1400, etc), however, it is unlikely you would keep the motor at that precise higher frequency long enough to develop the 'bounce'.

Even if your motor mounts are tightened down, they could be dried out enough to transmit vibrations to the crossmember and, by extension, the frame. They should be solid, but with enough 'give' to absorb/dampen those vibrations. If your struts are toast, that wouldn't help the situation :P

Please note that all this is only a hypothesis, and not a diagnosis.

Not entirely.

My EA82 runs at about 800 but under the hood it says the idle should be 700-800 and when I was in GDs shop, he tuned the carbs to hit about 750-800

Edit: My car doesnt bounce like youre saying, but it does chug a little below 700 but no bouncing...

Are you able to get a video of it doing this?

Just to clarify, by bouncing, do you mean a side to side type wiggle that shakes the whole car? Like a domestic with a big block and a lumpy cam?:Flame::Flame:

I don't know the difference between the two but I've definitely made the connection between the bounce and a cam'd domestic lol so I'd say domestic