Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mine hits E around 200 miles and usually has 5- 6 gallons left. of course city is different than hiway. i just re-set my trip meter every time i fill up so i know. i know both how far i have gone and i know how many mpg i usually get.

i have noticed the gauge reads more correctly if i do not stop the car. in other words, on long trips, i fill up before starting and drive for 200 plus miles the gauge more accurately reflects the fuel in the tank. once i stop for lunch or a bathroom, or at least by the time i complete my 300 mile trip to grandma's house, it goes back to its old ways, showing less than what is actually in the tank. i can't figure this one out.

trip meter is your friend, that and the ''low fuel light''. (when mine comes on it takes about 14 gallons to fill up.)

yup - mine did that sometimes

fill it up, it would read full, and work ok to about 3/4 of a tank, then it would quit working completely, until it got down to 1/4 tank, then read fine until it got to empty...

from what I have been able to find - this is because the secondary sending unit is going bad - the one on the drivers side of the tank. the primary is on the passenger side along with the fuel pump...

in my case, i swapped mine out with another from a lower mileage car and it has been working fairly well since.

and yes - the trip meter is a very useful tool (and my low fuel light doesnt work!)

Edited by heartless

yup - mine did that sometimes

fill it up, it would read full, and work ok to about 3/4 of a tank, then it would quit working completely, until it got down to 1/4 tank, then read fine until it got to empty...

from what I have been able to find - this is because the secondary sending unit is going bad - the one on the drivers side of the tank. the primary is on the passenger side along with the fuel pump...

in my case, i swapped mine out with another from a lower mileage car and it has been working fairly well since.

and yes - the trip meter is a very useful tool (and my low fuel light doesnt work!)

How far up in years can you go for a fuel sender?

How far up in years can you go for a fuel sender?

that I am not real sure of, the used one I put in came from a 91 model, my car is a 90. would need to do a little research on if/when the sending unit got changed. I believe, in my case, that they are the same at least thru 94 - but I could be wrong?

ok, so a little poking around and nobody seems to list the secondary one for 90-94 models (lame), but they do list it for 95 & up, and it appears to be identical to what I have at least thru 1999.

Hope that helps.