Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Megan Racing "Group N" Motor and transmission mounts. A Review...?

Hopefully this isn't an onen.

IMG_4069.jpg

:-p

Yup. I just bought a set. Both engine mounts, 5 speed trans mount, and dogbone/pitch mount. Bought the kit from Importblowoutsales on Ebay for just under $200. They shipped right away, and with a warehouse in PA they were here (VA) the very next day via UPS ground. :burnout:

WHY did I pick these? I was looking for a less costly alternative to buying from a dealer. I did some research and what little info I found about this set was good, so I decided to go for it. A reviewer at NASIOC said these even had Subaru part numbers on them, which upon inspection of the parts is true, I'll elaborate a bit more on this later.

The idea is that these are similar construction to Group N mounts available from Subaru. Same durometer polyurethane/rubber insulator material, same fit and function as a Group N mount. But this kit is about half the price of Subaru parts at regular retail.

Initial observations of the parts. The engine and transmission mounts are spray painted. The whole thing, like you would expect to find on a rebuilt part from Autozone. Maybe new Subaru OE mounts are the same way? I don't know for sure, but I figure it's worth putting out there. There are leftovers from the casting, where the rubber material flowed between and out of the molds.

Part numbers, yes they do in fact have Subaru part numbers stamped on them. The numbers are raised on the cushion/rubber of the mounts. Engine mount numbers 4102AA080 come back the same as Group N engine mounts. Transmission mount number is the interesting one. The number 41022AA180, shows on opposedforces.com as being for 93-98 Impreza L, LX, Outback, and Brighton, as well as 95-98 Legacy L, Brighton, Outback, and GT models. So my big question now is what part number will be on the stock mount on my 96 Legacy L? I can find out tomorrow when it's daylight and not raining cat and dogs. The digits are also unevenly spaced and not exactly in a straight line. This kinda seems to me like someone stamped these numbers into a mold and poured their own insulator material into cleaned up mount brackets.

The dogbone mount is composite plastic with standard rubber bushings. Very similar in appearance to Group N mounts I've seen pictures of online. HARD RACE is cast on one side, an arrow on the top notes orientation. Number in the mold is PA66- GF50, which when googled appears to be a code for the type of material the bone is made from.

Description: 50% long strand glass fiber reinforced heat stabilized Nylon 6/6

The rubber insulators have numbers 7345B, and 7345S, both of which I can find no information about.

Some pictures:

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_9081.jpg

IMG_8301.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

This last one's a little dark, but you can clearly see the "waves" in the part number stamp.

I'll get more info up (before and after feel, NVH increases, etc) after I get them installed, hopefully later this week or this weekend. I have quite a bit of work to do to the car and am looking forward to a weekend without rain. :burnout:

now that i've done a 5 speed swap i've considered buying that exact set. I know my car could use a set of mounts. I'd love to hear how they work out and i've always liked M/R's stuff. The fact that megan cant spell "System" right is priceless tho.

Well I got the transmission mount and dogbone put in yesterday. I did it in a hurry otherwise I would have taken pics of the process, but both of those are fairly straightforward.

So far, I can hear / feel a little bit more noise coming from the tunnel when starting, and when accelerating. There was some "flop" when transitioning on/off throttle when in gear, and that has been reduced slightly. I'm hoping that the engine mounts will take care of most of the rest of it, but there are quite a few other worn out bushings on this car that need attention too.

Gonna try to pull the engine this weekend, replace the clutch, fix an oil leak and put my Delta cams in it. Motor mounts will go in then if I get a round tuit.

I've done this upgrade twice now. A few things:

1) The pitch stopper is the same as an STI one. It's widely accepted that it will make no difference at the power levels that just about anyone on this board is making.

2) The price of the official Group N engine and transmission mounts from Subaru is about the same as this kit. You just don't get the pitch stopper.

3) Mine weren't spray painted, I don't think. They honestly looked like Group N mounts with a Megan sticker on them.

4) Your car will feel a lot more solid and predictable, and it'll be easier to shift. The stock transmission mount is a joke compared to the one in this kit. You'll feel a little more side-to-side vibration, but the "connection" to the car that is gained was well worth it to me.

5) I did this swap on cars whose mounts were 1 and 6 years old. Doing the swap on 15-year-old mounts will probably be substantially more rewarding.

Jacob

Well the pitch mount before swapping the trans mount was just at the very end of the elongated holes in the bracket on top of the trans. With the Megan mount in place the pitch mount had moved back by about 1/8". The old trans mount I can easily twist and move with just my hands. I don't think I could move the Megan mount with a sledge hammer. That thing is a rock.

Well the pitch mount before swapping the trans mount was just at the very end of the elongated holes in the bracket on top of the trans. With the Megan mount in place the pitch mount had moved back by about 1/8". The old trans mount I can easily twist and move with just my hands. I don't think I could move the Megan mount with a sledge hammer. That thing is a rock.

Yeah, I told you the stock transmission mount would be a joke. My work blocks my pics. Now that I can see your pics, I know mine weren't chipping like that.

Jacob

Speaking of pics. I almost forgot these:

IMG_6269.jpg

Part number looks familiar doesn't it? I'm still not sure why Megan put this part number on their mount.

IMG_9378.jpg

This was supposed to be a comparison shot but apparently I screwed it up.

IMG_6607.jpg

Look pretty similar. The Subaru part has the same code on the side. So at least we know the Megan dogbone is made of the same stuff.

funny, misleading title for euros... round here a Group N Megan(e) means this :)

I drove a Megane along the Autostrade from Roma to Firenze. It was hard to give that car back to the rental agency. Mine wasn't a Group N one, though.

Oh, I forgot to mention the other thing about these mounts. If you have the round motor mounts, then you'll need the metal plate that attaches to these square ones. The Megan package doesn't come with them. If you get the mounts from a dealership or something, then they usually do come with the plate.

Jacob

It loses something in translation! :lol:

Isn't group N some kind of class in racing? I've always kinda figured that was why they called them group N mounts.

Update time! Got the new motor mounts in, big difference. Mostly noticeable when starting, I can feel the engine shaking the whole car, and you can definitely hear it more. When removing the mount plates from the old mounts the mounts would twist and the upper and lower plates hit each other before the nuts would crack loose. The Megan mounts barely moved when tightening. They also lifted the engine up about 1/4", maybe more. I had to jack up the transmission to get the pitch mount bolt to go back in.

More of the slop is gone, but not all of it, so I know I have more work to do. One of the front control arm bushings is leaking, so thats on the list now as well, after I get the new tires put on because I ran something over and cut a giant hole in one this weekend. So far though, I'm pretty pleased with the mounts. The shifter doesn't kick around front back and side to side anymore when I acc/decelerate, seems to have made it easier to find gears. Not that it was difficult before or anything.

I didn't know there were different mounts, they bolted to the factory mount plates from my car just fine. I did notice though, the Megan mounts seem to be about 1/4" wider. They overhang the mount plates, the stock mounts did not. Still fit just fine though.

It loses something in translation! :lol:

Isn't group N some kind of class in racing? I've always kinda figured that was why they called them group N mounts.

Update time! Got the new motor mounts in, big difference. Mostly noticeable when starting, I can feel the engine shaking the whole car, and you can definitely hear it more. When removing the mount plates from the old mounts the mounts would twist and the upper and lower plates hit each other before the nuts would crack loose. The Megan mounts barely moved when tightening. They also lifted the engine up about 1/4", maybe more. I had to jack up the transmission to get the pitch mount bolt to go back in.

More of the slop is gone, but not all of it, so I know I have more work to do. One of the front control arm bushings is leaking, so thats on the list now as well, after I get the new tires put on because I ran something over and cut a giant hole in one this weekend. So far though, I'm pretty pleased with the mounts. The shifter doesn't kick around front back and side to side anymore when I acc/decelerate, seems to have made it easier to find gears. Not that it was difficult before or anything.

I didn't know there were different mounts, they bolted to the factory mount plates from my car just fine. I did notice though, the Megan mounts seem to be about 1/4" wider. They overhang the mount plates, the stock mounts did not. Still fit just fine though.

Yes, you'd have no problem bolting them onto a '96. Round mounts are present somewhere around 2006-ish.

I've heard good things about this as your next upgrade:

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_10_1496_1499_1506&products_id=186

Jacob

I can definitely feel more vibration from the engine at low RPM, especially at idle. I now feel a small running condition with the engine. It surges a little bit in spots through the RPM range. Once it hits 4k, everything kicks in and it pulls nice and strong, but below that, it will seem to bog down a little, kick a few times, and eventually straighten itself out. Only seems to happen under heavy throttle. This has been happening for a while, just every now and then it would just feel a little short on power, but it is much more pronounced now, possibly because the mounts are transferring more of that energy into the chassis. Hoping a can of seafoam will straighten it out, but I'm not positive. Kinda thinking knock sensor. No codes other than the MAP code that it's had for 2 years.

As far as Megan Racing goes:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/1932/hks-to-close-us-operations-save-hks-usa.aspx

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2351/dont-buy-fake-************--a-close-look-at-a-fake.aspx

Fake or ripped-off parts are killing true innovators in the aftermarket scene. I used to be all about buying the cheapest parts that would work, but have since been more dertermined about buying only quality-parts. Often that means they are used quality-parts, the only way I can afford most of them. :lol:

As far as Megan Racing goes:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/1932/hks-to-close-us-operations-save-hks-usa.aspx

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2351/dont-buy-fake-************--a-close-look-at-a-fake.aspx

Fake or ripped-off parts are killing true innovators in the aftermarket scene. I used to be all about buying the cheapest parts that would work, but have since been more dertermined about buying only quality-parts. Often that means they are used quality-parts, the only way I can afford most of them. :lol:

I used to feel the same way. But when company X makes a product based on the designs of company Y, and it yields the same results as company Y's product, but at 1/3 the cost because Y feels that their monopoly on the market allows for price gouging; I'm certainly going to buy the cheaper product. Why would I spend $130 on a Flossy shift knob when Blox makes one just as heavy and for $40? Why would I spend $200 on an AEM CAI when I can buy an eBay intake for $60 that flows just the same?

I'd like to support the innovators who bring the product to the market, but in this economy you have to price competitively.

holy jebus.. I just took out my stock mount yesterday.. first of all I want to say it looks like 20 times larger in person then it does in pictures..

and holy flex batman!! I don't think a group N will flex like this...

Yeah the megan mount moves, but you need lots of leverage to make it. I remember being able to lift the trans about 1/2" with a prybar on the old stock mount.

I am still happy with the purchase. The mounts were affordable and even if they're not as good quality as a Subaru Group N mount, I think they're good enough for this old car. There's definitely a noticeable increase in NVH, but overall I think it just gives me a better feel of the car.