Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone here with a lot of miles on the CVT? Any feedback, good or bad, on the CVT would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, my GF just picked up a new 2012 Impreza Hatchback with MT. It replaced her 2009 Impreza. All I can say is WOW. The 2009 was a very nice car, but the 2012 is a big improvement. The 2.0L engine is getting some impressive mpg numbers. Hopefully the new 2.0L won't have the same problems as the 2.5L. One big improvement , the 2012 is QUIET, Subarus tend to have a fair amount of road noise.

Subaru could be sharing the Nissan CVT. I believe that the CVT in both Nissan and Subaru uses a chain as opposed to the much more common belt. The 4 AEAT AT is used by Mitsubishi, and perhaps others, as well as Subaru.

My parents have a 2011 CVT Legacy. They love it. They have driven it to the Dakotas, Death Valley, Mexico, etc,... They get between 31-36 mpg. The only thing my dad has said negatively is that he can hear the CVT noise, but it's not too bad. It might just be that it's a different sound than a regular automatic, so he's not used to it.

Thats all it is. At nissan we get customers weekly saying their cvt is making noises. Generally its normal. Theyre like abs they make alot of funny noises but as long as mpg and drivability are high then theres no reason to worry. Its a big difference going from auto to cvt. Ive got used to it over the years.

Subaru CVT

There was a hiccup or two in the software at first but that seems to be solved. Some notice the noise some don't, but it is not a Rolls Royce so some noise is present anytime a chain is used.

So far they seem to be holding up well. The Nissan version uses the belt design of the Justy, while Subarus new CVT is a subaru only design.

Nissan system

wow the parts look like the inside of a justy trany exactly scary the problem is that the one side of the drum gets super loaded and will take out the berring eventualy in the justys they put a 12 ball berring on the one side to help it but is just to mutch side load to hold up a'm very sceptical about the longgevity of thiss trans and the rebiuld cost whould be hudge

Thats neat how subaru designed theirs. Its identical to the nissan just the chains are designed differently. The subaru chain is twice as big as a nissan one. Ive had them apart and the nissan ones are about 1" Wide and its plates linked together more like a metal belt than an actual chain. The subaru one looks like a super beefy transfer case chain.

Just bought an 2012 Outback in Oregon and drove it up to Nikiski Alaska. Absolutely no problems. I only got about 25mpg but I was pushing it some. Its the first auto I have had in a long time so it felt a little weird but I like it.