Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my Impreza is finally running, but when I plug my OBD2 in & clear the error, start the car up again runs fantastic then the error pops up again after about 20 sec of running then it runs like poop. I have adjusted the throttle cable and took off the throttle body and cleaned it up good using cleaner (looks new). Any Ideas?

You need a new Idle Air Control (IAC) valve.GD

Not necessarily. Try a thorough cleaning first.

Remove from TB and separate plastic housing.

The screws are soft and from an earlier post I took advice and replaced screws with cap head screws. 8mm for body and 4mm for housing.

The wheel that opens and closes is magnetically driven and sticks from carbon buildup. Clean and make sure the wheel turns freely. Clear code and reinstall.

Should resolve the issue. If not, junkyard, after verifying which you have. there are at least 3 types. They are not cheap otherwise.

O.

They are expensive. Even the part itself on EBAY. I usually look on Ebay for an entire Throttle Body with the IACV on it. You can usually get one cheaper than the individual part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-1998-97-98-99-subaru-forester-impreza-2-5-throttle-body-/260900398761?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbee026a9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-01-SUBARU-LEGACY-OUTBACK-2-5L-4CYL-THROTTLE-BODY-THROTTLE-VALVE-ASSY-/120895629051?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item1c25f0e6fb&vxp=mtr

Let me ask ...... is this a 5 speed ? If it is, the Idle Switch on the transmission can be causing this also. I usually see this when someone is driving/moving. It tells the ECU when you are in gear, This and speedometer pulses tell the ECU you are moving, so the ECU does NOT control the idle. When the switch goes BAD, the ECU sees the car moving, but NOT IN GEAR, like coasting in neutral. So the ECU TRIES to control the idle, but since you ARE in gear, it can not, so it sets P1507.

Is this on the 2000 model in your profile? I believe that one should have the cone type valve that screws to the side of the TB. Those are way expensive and hard to find in junkyards. I had to replace one and ended up getting it off eBay for $75. Not as good a price as a junkyard part but the seller warranted it for 30 days. Has been working for a few months now with no problems but I understand this style IACV fails often.

• 4 weeks later...