Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Setting readiness monitors 1998 Legacy- drive cycle tips?

1998 Legacy L 2.2 4EAT, 215K miles.

Had some P0440 CEL issues, replaced rusted through filler neck. CEL came on again, found an evap hose I knocked loose during the filler neck replacement. For whatever reason, the code would not clear with my ScanGauge II (it seems a bit flaky -w- Subarus), so I disconnected the battery to clear the code. No CEL issues as of yet.

I've now driven the car 200 miles and it STILL hasn't set the readiness monitors. Any tips? This is a "town" car for me, so I haven't had it much over 50 MPH. Is that why?

I need to set the monitors so I can pass the OBD II emissions inspection here....

Nathan

Took it on the highway today and was cruising at a steady 70 MPH for a couple of miles before I got caught in traffic. Still no luck! Up to 240 miles now since last reset. I'll try a longer highway journey this weekend, I guess, unless someone has a different idea. This is really vexing!

Nathan

YOu need to set the scangauge properly, it isnt just a plug in thing for soobys.

It really should have reset by now.

Pull the battery cable for five minutes. Drive the car for a week normally, get back to us. It shouldnt take more then 30 miles or so.

From the outback board:

Subaru recommends the following conditions and drive cycle to get the monitors on its vehicles completed in the shortest amount of time:

1. Make sure the fuel tank is between one-quarter and three-quarters full; half a tank is ideal.

2. Start the engine and immediately drive the vehicle for at least 15 minutes at a speed greater than 50 mph. During the warmup, try to avoid sudden acceleration, hard braking and/or lane changes.

3. Drive the vehicle at a steady 55 mph for three more minutes. During this stage of the drive cycle, it's crucial that you keep throttle angle changes to a minimum.

4. Bring the vehicle hack to the shop, hook up the scan tool and look at the status of the readiness monitors. Repeat the drive cycle, if necessary.

Thank you for the information, nipper. I'll have to reset the ECM right by the entrance to the expressway at a time when traffic is light to be able to follow that procedure!

I'm pretty sure I have the scan gauge set up correctly; it reads out all the parameters just fine.

I'll let you guys know when/if I resolve this.

Nathan

I had this same kind of trouble with my Outback when I was trying to get the car inspected. The battery was dead and it cleared the monitors. After the second attempt to set enough of the monitors by driving around the tech pulled out a book he had that told how to get the monitors set. The list I copied down was simliar to what Nipper stated and even had more proceedures to do. You shouldn't have to reset the ECU, the proceedure starts with the ignition. I started the trip from the turn out lane of the highway I used to make the trip. By the time I got back to the shop for the testing I had enough monitors set to continue the test. I think our state required to have at least three monitors set in order for the testing to continue on. After last April we no longer require an IM test to be done due to the cleaner air we now have.