Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 Subaru GL - need feedback/opinions

Hey guys, I am fairly new to Subaru (bought my 1st one this Feb.).

Anyhow, I have found for sale a 1984 Subaru GL with 27,000 original miles. The lady bought it new when she was 70, she had to quit driving last year and her son is now selling the car.

Here is what I know about the car:

GL Sedan

Front-wheel drive

Automatic transmission

1.8 engine

Digital dash

Black exterior

Gray interior

27,000 miles

Everything works (cruise, power windows, A/C)

Never driven in winter - but driven regularly (1000 miles/year) up until last fall.

Now I know a bit about my Forester, but I know NOTHING about mid 80's Subarus.

My questions: Is it worth buying (asking price $1800)? Is there anything I should know or be aware of on this model/year? (Issues, problems, etc?)

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time

Hey guys - so I bought the car!

It's actually a GL-10 (vs GL he told me it was). It has every option listed in the owners manual; power mirrors, sun roof, air conditiong, etc. It runs good, goes down the road at 70 straight & no rattles or vibrations. No rust on frame anywhere (it was stored in heated parking garage when not driven), and looks like it was undercoated.

He told me his grandmother specially ordered it in '84 and had it until last year.

The only issues are: dent in front drivers fender (someone backed into car), Small(quarter size) surface bubble rust on passenger rear fender, and will need some exhaust work.

The interior is flawless, dash is mint, no cracks in the plastic. Digital dash is fully functional, and the odometer reads 27,041!!

The best part is that his grandmother had it serviced at a local mom/pop repair shop down the street from me; same place I go! So they have all service & maintenance records! She had it tuned up and new belts put on before she quit driving last year.

Thanks again for all the info/help!

i had one of these that was a fwd 5spd. it was low mile, but rusted out. it was a junkyard resurrection that i got it running enough to drive once.

you have truly a nice score. please keep it fresh and clean and treat it like a classic collector car, for how nice of an example that it is. being that clean with low miles is worth the asking price. see if you can get it for closer to 1500

Thanks everyone!

One a scale of 1-10, happiness is a 10 :burnout:

Plans:

Actually, my dad is going to take it off my hands. I live in an apt in the city, no place to store it, work on it, etc. (I bought it to save it from being sold to the next guy in line; he wanted it for his new teenage driver) My dad however has garage space, tools, money, and much more car knowledge than me.

This works out great for me, as I'll still have access to a great car that I know is being cared for as it should.

My dad plans on keeping it original, putting on collectors plates, and using it to go fishing at his cabin in the summer. This works great as it will keep it in running condition while only putting on 1000 miles a year.

I'm looking forward to my road trip home in it to bring it to my dad (Fathers day weekend!)