Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 ea81 what is this?

this engine has the weber carb update. when i started the engine it started smoking really bad and i found this melting. what i want to know is what the heck is this and why when i traced it it was connected to the exaust? it looks factory but because of the weber upgrade i don't have reference. i have another car i can get parts off of to fix same engine just with stock carb.

this part was on the back part of the drivers side of the engine it looks like there is a similar one on the other side of the engine to. oh ya also they have put lawn mower muffler stuffed with something for air cleaners i think that may have been part of the problem

picture0002.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/v...icture0002.jpg

Edited by mikaleda
pic fix

yes i am just wondering what that is in the pic. i tried to describe where i found it, does that help? if not i will try to describe it better later. this is kind of secondary because at the moment i am replacing the front oil seal so i can't run it because it sprays oil every where and as far as i can see it has no use with the weber carb.

also i will try to get a better pic of it all i had was my phone (i am working on it for a neighbor), i will try to get back over where it is at and get a better pic. with my camera.

i will also add perspective

Edited by mikaleda

That's the silencer for the Air Suction Valve, (ASV). They'll start melting when the reeds in the ASV's break, allowing exhaust to pass thru them, melting the silencers.

With the Weber swap, all of that can be removed.

Follow the hoses from the Silencers, you'll find the ASV's. Then there's metal piping that goes down to the exhaust.

If you can get the nuts loose that holds the metal tubing to spacer, remove the tubing. Then cut it just past the nut, flatten it, then weld the end, re-install nut.

Then you can remove all of the associated other parts.

Link to pic of welded tubing,

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/319353_284760298207865_100000216909175

Yes, the picture is there now!

You mention it is on the backside of the motor, but there are pulleys in the picture that should be on the front end, near the bumper. Was there a pipe resting across and melting the plastic? Or did it just melt on its own?

i moved it to get a better pic. so yes it did melt on its own

Edited by mikaleda

That's the silencer for the Air Suction Valve, (ASV). They'll start melting when the reeds in the ASV's break, allowing exhaust to pass thru them, melting the silencers.

With the Weber swap, all of that can be removed.

Follow the hoses from the Silencers, you'll find the ASV's. Then there's metal piping that goes down to the exhaust.

If you can get the nuts loose that holds the metal tubing to spacer, remove the tubing. Then cut it just past the nut, flatten it, then weld the end, re-install nut.

Then you can remove all of the associated other parts.

Link to pic of welded tubing,

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/319353_284760298207865_100000216909175

cool i thought that so, i did see that metal pipe you are talking about.

i will do like you said and weld it shut.

i will thanks i kind of figured as much i just wanted to make sure. what kind of emissions components can be removed when you have a Weber? if i can clean this engine up a bit i would like to, its a mess under the hood.

cool i thought that so, i did see that metal pipe you are talking about.

i will do like you said and weld it shut.

You can also simply unscrew the large fitting, and stick a US Quarter in there. Makes a perfect block off plate. The high nickle conttent means it'll never corrode open.

$.50 to do both sides.......cheap fix.

You can also simply unscrew the large fitting, and stick a US Quarter in there. Makes a perfect block off plate. The high nickle conttent means it'll never corrode open.

$.50 to do both sides.......cheap fix.

:D nice i like that idea!

i haven't got around to plugging this yet but i found out why it failed. the reason it failed is because this car was sitting for about three years and something was nesting in the muffler. when i fixed the oil seal and fired it up i revved up the engine and it blew out a bunch of insulation now it works fine! :lol: when i replace the ball joints i will plug these off.