Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Steering

87 Subaru GL w/ 1.8L, 5sp, WGN, 4WD D/R, carb, PS and AC.

Noticed drip coming from the driver's side of steering rack and puddle of atf fluid on the driveway. Pulled the boot towards the wheel and in doing so it dumped atf fluid, a real gusher. Passenger's side boot is broken at the outside spring and somewhat wet. PS pump reservoir empty.

Have read varying opinions on this website re driving without PS system operating so I started the car up to take a test drive. Heard the pump's low growl and the rack's immediate, loud howl when I began to turn the steering wheel left or right even just a small amount. Test drive over that quick.

Rebuilt rack from O'Reilly's is $300 plus $30 core. From the manual, a change out in my own garage looks possible but not sure it's worth it.

Is it possible to connect the PS pump's discharge to its suction and run it with fluid at normal reservoir level without destroying it?

If so, will the rack function or eventually lock up, be destroyed?

Would expect turning the steering wheel to be more difficult, but not up for a rack lockup and or failure at 70 mph.

Thank you.

Edited by sunflowersubaru
Added more detail...

Have located the Leak Point? ... is it at the Rack or at the Pump itself?

If the Leakage is very tiny, you can do a Lazy "Temporary" Solution: Drain the ATF Fluid that Subaru designed to use at the Power Steering, and pour there Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak.

I did that Years ago in my BumbleBeast, and the Power Steering haven't leaked a Drop since then, nor emit any noticeable Noise; but Steering Becomes a Little Harder... so since it is Working good, I Leave it with Power Steering Fluid.

If the Leak is Severe, forget about Repairing the Rack... it is a Nightmare; you can Swap there a Good one from a Junk Yard.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Well... I had to do that once, more than a Decade ago; I did it 'cos My Subie had a Huge Rack Leakage in the Middle of Nowhere, in order to avoid the pump to work Dry.

I Works but I did it only to get Home that day, then I Swapped the Rack.

The Steering becomes Very Hard, more than a Non-Power Steering Car.

Kind Regards.

Is it possible to connect the PS pump's discharge to its suction and run it with fluid at normal reservoir level without destroying it?

Don't think a swap is worth it considering the state of the vehicle.

Just looking to get by for a few more weeks.

Thank you.

You can do that.

Steering will be harder than just a normal non-power rack.

You may want to try draining the fluid, and refilling with ATF w/ stop leak.

DO NOT use regular, clear, power steering fluid.......that stuff will eat the seals.....might be that some was put in there already, and that's why it's leaking.

I changed the seals on mine, and it was not that hard. Everythign else seemed okay, no excessive play, just a torn boot from (snow) drift bashing and some schmutz (technical term) got in there and ate up the output rod seal. It was a cheap repair and hasn't leaked yet.

I installed a rebuilt rack yesterday on my 90 Loyale. The rack cost $125.00 w/no core charge on ebay. The whole job took about 4 hours. The rebuilt rack had a tag on it that said do not use ATF fluid or the warranty would be void, use only power steering fluid. With the recent new struts, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack, and tires my 290,000 mile Loyale rides like new.

post-34059-136027656924_thumb.jpg

...DO NOT use regular, clear, power steering fluid.......that stuff will eat the seals...

Mine has more than Ten Years Running on Clear Power Steering Fluid without a Single Drop of leakage.

...The rebuilt rack had a tag on it that said do not use ATF fluid or the warranty would be void, use only power steering fluid. ...

As Far as I Know, Power Steering fluid is Thicker than ATF, and is easier for a Worn System to leak on a thinner Fluid; but I Believe that they rebuilt the Rack with Seals designed to work with Power Steering Fluid.

A Local master Mechanic told me, Long time ago, that Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak additive included, does somehow rejuvenates the Hard Seals to a Softer being, sealing Better.

...might be that some was put in there already, and that's why it's leaking.

Why don't you Try to Flush the ATF and pour there Fresh Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak additive, and see if it Helps as it did on my BumbleBeast.

Kind Regards.