Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ive looked into all the engine upgrades for my impreza and it seems itll cost the same to upgrade my drivetrain as it would to buy a nice used car. First of the year i want to sell my impreza and put down a nice down payment for a used car. Id like to get a wrx or baja turbo (go ahead and judge me but i like them) im curious what i should look for as far as problems? Ive heard the turbos arent as prone to headgasket failure. Any input is appreciated.

Does the aftermarket world make a stronger one? seeing as the wrx has been around awhile in the tuner world i think somebody would make an alternative. And would there be any way to prevent future problems like using head studs or something like that?

its not the gasket thats the problem its the two aluminuim surfaces move as it heats up and cools down and rips gaskets apart also the gasket works like a reid and vibrates wearing down the aluminium

Interesting....curious in your experience, if they haven't been overheated too much, do you find it necessary to mill the block and/or heads?

No i did one yesterday a 06 outback had never been overheated and had only 95000kms on it was leaking oil on exhaust i fixed headgaskets the heads or block did no require surfaceing was still good shape could however see that the gasket had been moving and wearing at the head surface but just starting to even at thiss low of milage the coating on gasket was breaking down anyway it seems the sooner its done the less damage is done thiss is the lowest milage one iv'e done if it has over 150000kms on it gets rods and mains and rings. One the new ones i only plane heads /blocks if absulotly nesacary as the piston to head clearance is tighter