Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You are talking about the plate on the back of the engine block, on the right side, correct?

I am replacing the clutch on a 1992 Legacy (2.2) that I picked up about a year ago, and the "separator plate" (if I am taklikng about the same plate) is metal. Does that mean that someone definitely changed it out at some point?

Yes. My 95 2.2 has a plastic one. I think its a revised or updated part to go metal. I resealed mine but i think its leaking again. Probably the plastic got brittle and will warp or crack. Thats why they changed it. Im going to get a metal one for my new engine.

the early ej22's have aluminum seperator plates, with recessed screws. clean yours up if it aluminum, and set it on a piece of glass and make sure it's flat, if it is, use ultra grey permatex and reseal it back on. No need to upgrade.

I know mine was yellow plastic. I have a 10/94 model production date so could be i have a pre 95 ej22

That's the first I've heard mention of the yellow plastic one. I have an early 90's ej22 swapped into my LGT. Honestly have no idea what year it is. It seemed pretty sturdy and dry. It's usually the black plastic ones that crack and leak.

the ej22 I stuffed in my black wagon from a 93-94 lego wagon (facelift) came with a yellow plastic one, It was leaking but was super flat on a sheet of glass so I lapped it a little on glass/sandpaper and resealed it careful not to crack the screw sockets by overtightening. I used ultra copper and It still doesn't leak, and its been 30k+. I know it's a no-no but I really didn't have the 25 bucks for the new one at the time.