Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dead outback EJ25D Need help on swap info

Well, my outback spun a rod bearing 1k after headgaskets. I bought it with them blown, so I guess johnny jack@$$ ran it hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlFzBKZ0qS8&feature=plcp

I need to know if I can swap a EJ22 crank into a EJ25D? easily...

I have a 90 EJ22 with 150k on it and strong bottom end, parted because of blown head gaskets. Heads are long gone

I have a sparkly clean ej25D with a bad rod bearing. Any help on what I can do. Can I bolt ej25D heads directly onto a ej22? What head gaskets to I use?

I have 2 weeks and minimal money to get this car going...

thanks for any help

Edited by Ricearu

You can put the 2.5 heads on the 2.2 block, but I think the drop in compression means a big loss of power.

I'd go find a good 2.2 out of a 95 Legacy and drop it in. Rebuild the 2.5 block later, or just rebuild it now and get it done with if you have the $$. You can do it yourself. Split the block, take the crank to a machine shop and have it checked/ polished, order appropriate sized bearings and slap it all back together. Could even take the block down and have it decked to make sure you have a nice flat gasket surface.

it may be a challenge in your part of the country, but i would look for an ej25 engine or short block with a busted timing belt. you can use 96 - 99. and with some care, 00 - 04, but these have a higher chance of bad rod bearings.

get a short block, put on your heads and go.

the ej22 crank will not work, the stroke is too short.

2.2 crank works fine but will drasticaly lower comp from 200-145 will still run fine and last forever we call it a destroker motor and use them with turbo have not ran to many na but it will work as long as they are both phase one engines i have put the 2.5d heads on 2.2 i do that all the time works very well and lasts

hmmmm. I am gonna tear down the 2.5 and check to see what the machine shop can do for me. I don't have much money but if if it costs me head gaskets and machine work, and isn't ungodly expensive, then I can handle it.

sucks I just did the head gaskets too...

It's my first time splitting a block, so what do I need to seal it back up? ultra grey like all else?

is there any o-rings or anything I need to order to do this?

There are a few O rings that go between the block halves for coolant/ oil passages. I'd suggest getting those.

The crank may be fine, look it over yourself before taking it to the shop. If the bearing surfaces look smooth and clean you can probably just size it and order bearings to fit. But if it needs polishing I wouldn't expect it to be more than $75 - $100.

Look into ACL bearings. GD and CCR both recommend them, so they must be good.

There are a few O rings that go between the block halves for coolant/ oil passages. I'd suggest getting those.

The crank may be fine, look it over yourself before taking it to the shop. If the bearing surfaces look smooth and clean you can probably just size it and order bearings to fit. But if it needs polishing I wouldn't expect it to be more than $75 - $100.

Look into ACL bearings. GD and CCR both recommend them, so they must be good.

Specifically, the ACL Race Bearings in the red & yellow box. The non-race bearings in the blue & silver box are made in China and are um, sub-standard.

Edited by ccrinc
correction

Specifically, the ACL Race Bearings in the red & yellow box. The non-race bearings in the blue & silver box are made in China and are um, sub-standard.

Wow, those ACL bearings are way cheaper than the subaru OEM ones also.

Twice the bargin!

Steve

does anyone here have experience with mizumo head bolts? Both for the ej22 and ej25? I am thinking about buying their gasket set and just toss the hg's in lou of dealer headgaskets. The whole gasket set including intake exhaust valve cover etc is cheaper than a dealer set of head bolts by a long shot

also, does the ej25d have the thrust bearing in the number 3 or the number 5 position?

Edited by Ricearu

the thrust bearing is what keeps the crankshaft from walking back "in and out" of the case. That movement is called endplay. It takes the load from the clutch etc. It is why you shouldn't idle with your foot on the clutch, you should put it in neutral and take your foot off until you are ready to go.

the thrust bearing is what keeps the crankshaft from walking back "in and out" of the case. That movement is called endplay. It takes the load from the clutch etc. It is why you shouldn't idle with your foot on the clutch, you should put it in neutral and take your foot off until you are ready to go.

and when they went to the phase 2 SOHC engine in 99/00 they move the thrust bearing to the #5 position from the #3 position.

EDIT: correction from below by ''ccrinc'', in mid-98 on the dohc engine.

thanks emily, i hat posting bad info.

Edited by johnceggleston