Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy starts, but dies after 3 seconds

99 Legacy GT 2.5 30A

I just reinstalled my engine after a full rebuild (spun a rod bearing at 160K), and was very happy when it fired up almost immediately. But after 3 seconds it died, sounding like it had run out of fuel. This repeats every time I start it. If I press the accelerator the engine dies.

Observations:

Fuel Pump:

I verified that the fuel pump works, it pumps for one second after the key is turned on, not the two seconds that the manual says it should, and never comes back on after the engine starts. I put power direct to the pump so that it runs all of the time, but that made no difference.

The temp gauge is pegged at maximum

The fuel gauge is pegged at empty; this is after I poured in a few gallons to make sure there is some in the tank. I know that there is more, but I don’t know how much.

The car has been siting for 18 months, and the engine was out for 6 months. I almost trashed the car, but decided that I can't afford to replace it with anything nearly as much fun to drive, and my son wanted to help fix it.

Is it possible that the ECU is seeing the false overheat reading and shutting it down?

Any ideas where I might look? I’m anxious to drive this car again; I’m tired of driving my Suburban to work.

I have no solid feeling about what's wrong.

Given the time the car sat with low or no fuel in the tank, I'd say it's possible there's some buildup of varnish or something keeping the fuel level gadgets from working right. Have you confirmed fuel gets through the fuel filter? And maybe something is gumming up the IACV?(seems like it shoiuld run with the pedal off idle????)

I'd also suggest there could be an electrical ground problem - seems unlikely, but it might explain the weird gauge behavior.

odd

Thanks for the suggestions!

The big hose to the idle air controller was disconnected. I also cleaned all of the grounds and the large connectors to the engine electricals. It started right up and the fuel gauge works. The Temp gauge was trapped at the top, and a few bangs on the dash freed it. Everything works and I drove it to dinner. I now have the first 8 miles on my rebuilt motor, that runs smother than it did originaly. I have to look at the tachometer to make sure that it is running at idle.

Now I need to have the patience to wait to play until it is broken in.