Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best way to remove lifters?

i've never had a problem reusing them but i never really looked into why they were stuck there. i would just drop them off at a machine shop and they'd give them back with the HLA's removed after resurfacing the heads. have no idea how they got them out. soak them in penetrant?

It's not the best method, but there are small oil relief holes next to the HLA buckets. If you have an air compressor, I've had luck using a small nozzle air gun and back-feeding them to get them to pop... however, I've also had to destroy several using pry bars and needle nose since they WOULD NOT LIFT. Spin and wiggle, yes. But WOULD NOT lift up.

Sealed Power STILL has them available from most auto parts houses (Advance, NAPA, Oreilly) or RockAuto I'm sure can get them if you end up destroying one or several.

Good luck!

I've heard about them, but if they don't have any in stock, then it doesn't really help me unless I can send them the entire head as my cores since the lifters are stuck. But as far as getting them out, it sounds like the pull and pray method is what most do??? I haven't had too much luck with that in the past...

I've heard about them, but if they don't have any in stock, then it doesn't really help me unless I can send them the entire head as my cores since the lifters are stuck. But as far as getting them out, it sounds like the pull and pray method is what most do??? I haven't had too much luck with that in the past...
...maybe these lifters have a ridge and are stuck in there, or are your lifters covered in a brown oily sludge that can act like glue..dribble a little gas over them....

...maybe these lifters have a ridge and are stuck in there, or are your lifters covered in a brown oily sludge that can act like glue..dribble a little gas over them....

Ha, I was thinking using gasoline too:) I've never seen any stuck ones before though. Sounds like varnish possibly?

Anyway, I cleaned some stuff a couple weeks ago using regular gas from a Marathon station. It disolves varnish I discovered, and I used gloves because it causes burning of the skin near instant.

I thought next time I pull some varnished wrist pins that's what I'd try. PB Blaster won't disolve that stuff, but I'm pretty sure that gasoline will.

Doug

The one I pulled out had absolutely no varnish on it and I am expecting the same for the others. I think there is a little lip on the steel sleeve they sit in and that is what they are held up on. I will try compressed air, but I have little hope for that. I am scrapping the head, so would there be an issue with grinding down the sleeve?