Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just lost reverse on my 93 Legacy L 2WD with 225k. Considering either rebuilding transmission myself or replacing with a lower mileage unit. After cost and time considerations I am most likely going to swap in a junk yard unit.

My question is what are my options. I know the 92-94 had a final drive ratio of 3.9, but since I am 2WD drive does it matter if I swap in a unit with 4.11 gearing from an impreza? Will this confuse the TCU? (My research suggests the answer is it will be fine)

I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems like almost any 2WD Impreza or Legacy trans from 90-98 should fit mechanically and electrically. The only difference will be the drive ratio.

I have found a 93 Impreza 1.8L 2WD trans locally for a reasonable cost with low miles. Should I go with this? It will have 4.11 gears but in my mind that says performance mod.

final drive ratio won't matter at all to the TCU or ECU, like you said it's FWD.

i converted my AWD legacy to FWD. it was originally 4.44 and i dropped down to 4.11 with the swap, no big deal and i made no changes to the TCU or anything, just bolted it up and plugged it in.

be careful with those early imprezas - 93 impreza FWD's have an oddball spline count on the front axles, so your legacy axles may not slide into it.

i could be off and maybe you won't run into that. if i'm correct, it's still worth it to also swap axles to match or you may simply be able to install the DOJ parts of the impreza on your existing legacy axles - not that big of a deal and might as well put new boots on them while the thing is apart anyway.

I just did a cross check on rockauto and all of the CV half shafts for 93 Impreza cross referenced to 90-99 Legacy's. Where did you see that the spline count was different? I don't want to go this route if I need to swap shafts as well. There is a 95 Legacy trans i can grab, but more money.

Looking at some parts it looks like the 93-94 FWD Impreza with standard transmissions have different drive shafts, but the 93+ FWD and AWD automatics all have the same driveshafts. I can see this being true as maybe the standard trans they used in 93-94 was different, but i would be surprised with the 4EAT's having a difference.

right on, looks like you're good to go. a cursory glance via google suggests it's only the manual trans that are different. glad it was only the manual trans, good to know.

every single EJ transmission with a stubby shaft is the same for many, many years and generations except for the 93 FWD impreza - it's a freak.

all EJ's have 25 splines on the transmission.

the freaky 93 FWD manual Imp's have 23.

I have rebuilt a GM 4L60 aka 700R4 before and rebuilding an automatic is something I would like to do again. The main issue is cost. I have found 2 4EAT's with less than 120k on them < $400. The cost for a rebuild kit with new frictions is $200 and the cost for a new torque converter is ~$200 - $300. Throw in manuals and other small things and my cost is going to be $450 - $550 to rebuild plus my time. I could do the rebuild without a new torque converter but I don't think that is a good idea. I want another 50k miles or so out of this car and I think I can easily get that from one of these used transmissions which is also a less expensive route.

50,000 miles is usually going to be easily done with a known good used trans. change the ATF and front diff oil and put new ATF lines in it.

I have put 60,000-70,000 on my $150 used 4EAT (100,000 miles when i got it) now and i expect a lot more. Subaru auto trans are reliable and the car you're putting it in is not taxing on transmissions.

Check the fluid in it before you buy it, see why the car was junked if you can, etc.

is that "Bowie" Maryland? i'm from MD and used to work in Greenbelt.

So the clowns at the parts place had the trans mislabled or something. It looks like it is a Phase I 4EAT but set up for AWD. I almost missed the output shaft.

I am going to start another thread, but is it possible to use this in a 2WD application and remove the center diff and cap it up with the cap from my 2WD trans?

I have a FWD 4EAT from a 93 Legacy w/111K miles on it. If you want to fool with the shipping arrangements, make me an offer.

shipping is going to be close to $200. walk-ins don't get ant where near the rate that repeat commercial customers do.

there is also one in NC on CL, around boone or asheville maybe.

but shipping is still going to be the same.

• 3 weeks later...

The long and short of it is that I have been unable to source a reasonably priced trans locally so I am going to get a junk yard to ship me one. I found one with low miles from a 95 Impreza. Think that's a good idea? My only concern is if there is an issue then I am out the shipping I believe.

Gary, I currently live in SoCal. My folks live in Bowie, MD and I used to live in College Park and then DC. Moved out to CA about a year ago.

a qiuck glance at car-part.com, it seems like you can get one for 300 - 500$ most places and 500 - 700 any where.

i had a trans shipped from SC tp VA for 150$. chances are pretty good that didstance has little to do with price. i would call a couple of yards in TX and PA to see what thet charge. if they are all pretty much the same i would then look for the cheapest i could find that i had confidence in.

if shipping doubles with distance then you really should stay close to home. but you can get them for $100 in TX, PA and MN plus shipping.

you other option is to buy a FWD car for cheap and scrap all of it except the trans. but this would take more money up front and take longer to get you money back.

where are you located?

is the ''cheao trans'' driven because you don'r have any money or you don't want to spend it on this car.?

if you do the install your self you can be back on the road for less then 600$. $1200 if you pay labor. that may be more than you think the car is worth, but what other car can you buy for $1200.?? even if you scrap this one and get $300 for it, what can you buy for $1500?

just a thought.

I don't want to put a lot of money into the car. My only concern with buying and having it shipped is if there is an issue I am out $300 for initial and return shipping on my $300 transmission....lol. If shipping is $100 it is better. I see two at this yard in SD for $300 and $350 and they want $150 to ship which is reasonable just worried if there is an issue and I need to return it.

that makes sense.

this one claims to be 95 impreza FWD in north hollywood for 300$.

Transmission

Subaru Impreza 4DR L/B

$300 Prime Auto Parts USA-CA(North-Hollywood) Request_Quote 818-765-5448

this one in TX for $100:

Transmission

Subaru Impreza A-GRD, 1.8, ATOD, FWD, FLR 65,282 ASI9383

$100 Auto Star Recycling Center, Inc. USA-TX(Hearne) E-mail 1-979-279-6001

there are about 26 for $125 and under.

and this one, the cheapest, for $75 in mass. if it is still available.

Transmission

Subaru Impreza2WD- 60K 60,000 AP90323

$75 Ollies I190 Used Auto Parts USA-MA(Phillipston) E-mail 1-800-559-5865

Edited by johnceggleston

I've seen most of those and called those folks in TX. They want $275 to ship and I am considering it but I am concerned because it is so cheap...lol.

The place in north hollywood doesn't have the mileage listed so I assume it is unknown or very high. I could give them a call.

the low reverse clutch pack is the very last pack at bottom of the case after you pull the sub asemblys out you do not have to remove the valve body diff must come off and pump houseing evrything else comes out check high drum pack and drum surface and band cange out the clutch packs and good to go i always like to keep the stock unit if at all posibble becuse is matched to car