Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting brakes on a '93 EA82?

It is officially becoming harder to find available brakes for the Loyale. Every place I have spoken to in the last two days says it is becoming "obsolete" and no warehouses are carrying "new" parts for the calipers. My local dealership said there are only five reman calipers left in their warehouses. Autozone is a special order.

What options for changing to a newer style brake are there?

I know it's going to be a huge change too... Especially due to the axles, hill hold, etc... But I'm running out of options otherwise, and waiting a week for parts is just not in my list of things to do.

rockauto.com they have several makes of brake calipers for your loyal :headbang: when i get parts from them they are usually there within 3-5 days and if you pay a little more you can get it there sooner

Edited by mikaleda

rockauto.com they have several makes of brake calipers for your loyal :headbang: when i get parts from them they are usually there within 3-5 days and if you pay a little more you can get it there sooner

Cool, that's helpful actually. No dual piston models though, which is really what I want to put on it.

Yeah, RockAuto is definitely the place to go to. They have a pretty ample supply of any parts for your braking system you could need, and various makes of each part to fit various price ranges.

It's not that big a deal; once you replace it (caliper, rotor, pads, etc) you're not going to have to do it again. At least for a good while..

On the other hand, if you have a legacy parts car available, I envy you. :headbang:

XT6 front control arms or modify the EA82 one's to accept the Legacy ball joint.

Legacy axles, hub/knuckle assembly, ball joints, and complete strut assembly.

In the rear you need XT6 hubs, backing plate, pads/rotor, and caliper.

Rear is bolt-on. Front generally requires a bit more work many people have done it.

GD

XT6 front control arms or modify the EA82 one's to accept the Legacy ball joint.

Legacy axles, hub/knuckle assembly, ball joints, and complete strut assembly.

In the rear you need XT6 hubs, backing plate, pads/rotor, and caliper.

Rear is bolt-on. Front generally requires a bit more work many people have done it.

GD

It seems the XT and XT6 have the same parts. My loyale is fwd so ill look into it.

Thanks GD.

Quick question... Found rear discs for a 1991 Loyale... Says rear specifically, so will those not work up front? Why not? (just curious) Like what makes them so different... they are just rotors :/

Ill be 5 lug eventually for bigger moar betta brakes, but for now I need to focus on the engine after my 4 lug wheels are done being painted.