Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Type of Carb is this?

I recently purchased an 86GL (EA82) wagon that I would like to do a little work on. One of the items I'm considering is a Weber carb as this vehicle seems a little doggy in the low RPM range, but before I do that I would kind of like to know what I am replacing. Anyone recognize this unit? Is it the stock carb? I can't find any markings that would indicate a brand or model.

DSC03268.jpg

DSC03269.jpg

DSC03270.jpg

DSC03271.jpg

DSC03272.jpg

Right, there are markings in a couple of locations, but nothing that makes sense to me. The tag in the second photo reads...

L7760

On the front (center) it reads A-2 and at the base it reads R7760.

On the left side it reads B-2 and 2F 5675 B

On the right side it reads D-3

Nothing that I can see on the rear, and nowhere do I see Holley, Webber, Hitachi, etc.

Studying the diagram you sent, it would seem that your first guess was right... a Holley H2-5200. Further investigation tells me that this carb was modeled after the Weber 3236... I wonder if I shouldn't just work with it a bit?

I've had pretty good luck with them on my EA-81's..

Like GD said they had at least 2 different versions (cfm wise). I try to stay away from the electronic ones, but the one you have doesn't look to be one of them.. In the 70's and 80's all of the big three US manufacturers used them on their 4 cyl's. They're not as plentiful at the U-pull-it's any more... But that's where I got my stock of carbs and tune up parts. Kits are cheap last I checked and there is a wealth of info on the net about tuning them.. Weber jets may fit as well GD mentioned.

I'd try working with it a bit if you have the time... when tuned the butt dyno would not be able to tell the difference from a real Weber.