Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Moisture Day

I just went out and the 93 Loyale struggled to start...this only happens on a high moisture day and it's been happening for a few weeks...

had my engine out for the clutch, belts, oil seals, waterpump.. reconnected all that I could but disconnected /removed AC...there's still some wires that do nothing just hanging around.

Pretty sure the prob is not with my distrib cap..

suppose the wires just hangin around could be shorting out something?

suppose it could be a loose ground or rusty connection?

too late for work to post pics of what's just hanging around..

..and no I didn't search... always forget the problem unless it's a high moisture day and now I gotta run..

any thoughts?..how to track it down?

thanks..have a good day

Does it run crappy when it's raining and really damp out?

To me, it sounds like a distributor issue... I had a cracked distributor cap causing issues on me once. And another time had a badly routed wire that had almost chafed through. But only let spark out when it was damp.

It doesn't run crappy...just struggles to start when damp... warmed up, it's okay.....

Had it cut out on me a couple weeks ago after splashing thru puddles during the rain....was lucky to pull off to the side in town, get a coffee...got back in and it started....

I hear what yur saying about the distributor,,,,don't think it's that this time around...I know I just have to check all my connections from the re-install and seal off any wires hangn around....just thought someone might have the magic tracking device....

With tomorrow's weather, it might be interesting

you can coat your cap with a little refined white flour and put it back on and run it for a minuet. the flour will show you if you have a crack in your cap when you take it off. if you have a crack it will appear burned where the crack is making it easy to see.

also if you ever hit a puddle and your car dies and won't start again you can spray WD-40 inside the cap and put it back on and it will start

Edited by mikaleda

you can coat your cap with a little refined white flour and put it back on and run it for a minuet. the flour will show you if you have a crack in your cap when you take it off. if you have a crack it will appear burned where the crack is making it easy to see.

also if you ever hit a puddle and your car dies and won't start again you can spray WD-40 inside the cap and put it back on and it will start

ah, it's the ol refined white flour on the distrib cap trick....why didn't I think of that :-))

I hear what yur saying 9, the cap's only a year old though..suppose I'll check it out..

Luv the trick above ...gotta do that just for the hell of it....forgot about WD40 drying things out too..

Thanks mik