Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 Feedback carb problem

ShawnW

Is there a part that would make the car run strange only about around 52-55 MPH and above? At 45-50MPH its completely normal above that it surges and feels really weird like a sensor or something is angry. Doesn't matter what gear or how hard you drive it just seems to be speed related. Could I just unplug the ECM to see if its there or would a bunch of the other parts/sensors not work? I have always avoided this system and would just 'put a weber on' but the owner isnt going to like that idea and is very gas mileage orientated.

The car is ea81 sedan FWD 5spd manual.

The sad truth and what you need to explain to the customer is that this is a 1980's computer driven carb for which parts, service information, and proper tools are limited and VERY expensive. None of us want to work on those and no carb shop or service shop that has the capability would do so for a reasonable fee. I recently did a Weber swap on a carter BBD equipped '89 Jeep. The customer was quoted between $3,000 and $4,000 to repair the carb and associated systems - either by installing the Chrysler fuel injection kit or by repairing the aging carter feedback carb.

I did a Weber swap and got it through emissions for her for much less than $1,000. She is very happy with both how it runs, the fuel economy, and the price.

If your customer doesn't want to hear the truth then they should cease to ask scary questions. I really don't feel much guilt telling people how much work they are asking me to do with research, equipment purchases that I will rarely if ever use again, and time spent on forums trying to figure out a problem that has already been solved with a simple Weber swap. Just because they *think* they don't like the solution that's accepted by the whole community doesn't mean we have to suffer.

GD

I would check the speed sensor by plugging a digital tach into the YR wire at check connector IV (4 pin-pink) under the dash.

I bet it goes wonky above 50 mph.

Voltmeter may even suffice.Should be 0-5 volt pulses.

Edited by naru

Is there a part that would make the car run strange only about around 52-55 MPH and above? ...

Yes, if the car does run with a Hitachi Carburetor, Usually is the Vacuum for the Secondary Stage that fails to open.

I made a very Cheap Mod to Solve that problem: I Remove the Vacuum actuator and replace it with a thick Wire, hooked to the Primary, that will open the secondary butterfly untill the primary has reached its first Half, somehow like the Webers do.

Please, see this Short Video on my YouTube's Channel:

~► Here:

I Hope this Idea will Help.

Kind regards.