Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
CNY_Dave

2003 H6 new crank pulley oil seal- anything to watch out for?

I've replaced a few oil seals in my time, just wondering if there are any 'gotchas' on the H6.

Looked like a 'normal' job when I just had the thing all apart to replace the crank pulley (dealer forgot to order the seal)

The Subaru rubber seals are easy. Half the time I push them in by hand. Just wipe a little fresh oil on the outside of the seal and it slides right in. Of course be sure to put oil on the inside too.

Has not been a good day- dropped the NEW pulley (it slipped off the shaft so easy all of a sudden I lost my grip on it) at it took out about an inch of the outer flange- heh, how critical is it that it be balanced? Going to find out...

I also was tapping the seal in and it went in a skosh further than intended.

Oh joy...

Has not been a good day- dropped the NEW pulley (it slipped off the shaft so easy all of a sudden I lost my grip on it) at it took out about an inch of the outer flange- heh, how critical is it that it be balanced? Going to find out...

I also was tapping the seal in and it went in a skosh further than intended.

Oh joy...

take an inch out of the other side?

that thing seems kinda brittle doesn't it?

(sounds like something that would happen to me)

The flange is thin cast iron, so yeah, pretty weak.

I have run with a chipped pulley before, worried less as it was an old honda clunker.

I filed the edges with great care.

If I have lead a virtuous life the fact that I put the seal in a skosh too far will move the seal away from where the old seal rubbed the pulley and leaked...

There are small divots where the pulley has been balanced by drilling away a tiny bit of material, so it was balanced at some point.

If you paid with a credit/debit card and purchased within certain distance from your home address, they may pay to replace broken items.