Ultimate Subaru Message Board

has anyone swapped a ej25 turbo into their ea82 car

tandm1999

hey guys i have been lurking for a while now reading and reading trying to decide what i was gonna do with my 87 rx ea82t. well im still trying to decide what engine to swap into her but i was wondering what was the newest engine anyone has installed in their ea subie , i wanted to know has anyone done the wrx sti 2.5 turbo in theirs or if theres any reason not to ?

lots of people have put 2.5s in ea82s. look up xbeerd

wanna know why lots of people have done it? because its cheaper than building an ea82 that would even come close to competing with it.

fair enough? no bans necessary. no argument necessary. its the law of advanced platforms.

hey! i got mentioned in a thread. sweet. LOL. :brow:

anyways, yeah i have a EJ251 in my car, NA tho, i know you asked about turbos etc, i would say that if you were going to do a turbo setup you will probably want to switch over to an ej series drivetrain as well for sake of holding power of a STI motor, especially if you think you will start modding it. i know some guys locally are 400+ HP and i can only imagine what the trans would think of that being it was from a car that maybe was taking 130hp or whatever the ea82t put out.

my engine is out of a 2000 model year outback. MilesFox has a 2.2L out of a 2001 impreza i believe.

NA, the 2.5 gave plenty of power of course, mines got a leaky HG at the moment, so it lacks, but before that.. i was chirpin my GrabberAT2s all day long. :brow::brow:

Being that the car is already turbo gives you that option as a n/a car would require a subframe swap or chop. maybe you should consider wrx ej20g as it is probably the most practical to come by.

you should make it work first with a stock platform, then prove the car, then go to custom blocks and hybriding of parts from there.

even a n/a ej22 is going from 90 hp to 135. That is better than 25% increase out of the box.

lots of people have put 2.5s in ea82s. look up xbeerd

wanna know why lots of people have done it? because its cheaper than building an ea82 that would even come close to competing with it.

fair enough? no bans necessary. no argument necessary. its the law of advanced platforms.

Bah humbug!

Maybe where Subarus are plentiful it's cheaper, but here where the only thing for sale is found on NASIOC coupled with a 400 dollar sjr kit.

The ea82 will always be cheaper. And cooler IMHO, too many ej powered cars out there.