Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some help with the ignition fellas....

A long time ago someone tried stealing my car, they busted the ignition and ever since then it hasn't been fixed but, Today I got an idea I am trying to get the ignition off of my parts car (gl wagon) but im having a lot of trouble.

Just one question; do I have to take off the steering wheel and all the steering column to get the ignition off?? Im confused :confused:

TIA

Ea81? if it is... Well, I just did my cylinder a few months back and this is how I did it:

Remove the plastic cover around steering column, steering wheel, combination switch, unbolt the steering column then remove the two spring actuators that attach to the bracket that pivots. As you will be able to see, there are 4 bolts on the lock cylinder (10 mm if I remember correctly) and not much clearance to get them out. I took them out with a regular combo wrench, and a lot of patience. After those are out, a little tappy and it should slide right off the shaft. I'll bet some other board members have done other things, but this has worked just fine for me! Hope this helps

T.J

Edited by BratRod

Okay thanks for the info but

both the cars are EA82 doner car is a 89 wagon and mine is a 93 sedan.

And Miles I'm trying to get the other side of the coil, where the key goes in, idiots busted it with a hammer :-\

I'm basically trying to get it to look original, either that or put in a push start but wiring is not my best area...

To remove the ign cyl part, you will have to slot the heads from the creaws and turn them out with a flat screwdriver.

The easiest way to fix this is just swap the whole steering column if need be. It is literally 2 bolts and a handful of harness connectors, and the pinch bolt under the hood.

I'm with Miles on just swapping the columns out. You may also want to change the key locks on the front doors.

Column swap can be done by oneself, but it does help to have an assistant when putting one back in. Mainly for getting the column shaft aligned correctly with the joint on the steering rack.