Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are aftermarket valve cover gasket kits reliable?

I've had leaky valve cover gaskets for quite awhile now, and I've finally decided to do something about it.

For those of you who have replaced yours, did you use a Subaru valve cover gasket kit or some Aftermarket valve cover gasket kit?

The aftermarket kit is about half the price of the Subaru kit, but is the Subaru kit a lot higher in quality? I don't mind spending the extra money if it's truly worth it.

:banghead:

i've never noticed a difference. it's easier and cheaper to get new grommets with aftermarket kits i believe. sometimes Subaru grommets are insanely expensive relatively speaking for how many you have to buy.

the subaru valve cover gaskets aren't that great, or maybe it's just the nature of valve cover gaskets, of all the gaskets and seals it's the least likely to make 200,000 miles.

i've never noticed a difference. it's easier and cheaper to get new grommets with aftermarket kits i believe. sometimes Subaru grommets are insanely expensive relatively speaking for how many you have to buy.

the subaru valve cover gaskets aren't that great, or maybe it's just the nature of valve cover gaskets, of all the gaskets and seals it's the least likely to make 200,000 miles.

Hm, alright.

Well I can get the Subaru gasket kit here for $62:

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=7878

Or this Felpro gasket kit here for $27:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_valve-cover-gasket-set-felpro_15780704-p

But I guess you're saying the difference in quality isn't big enough for it to matter between 1 or the other.

ive used the blue fel pros on a few ejs, the only grip ive had is getting the wrong grommets with them. anone else run into this issue? i just re-used the old ones since the lions share of the oil was coming not from the grommets, but from the vcg's themselves. that, and i really didnt have a choice at the time.

+1 for Felpro:

When I bought the VC cover gasket kit for my 99 Forester, it didn't come come the the spark plug well seals, which were the only things leaking on my car at 137K miles. Now, it appears they're included.

Depending on your car's mileage, it may make sense to adjust the valves while you have the covers off. Clearance on exhaust valves will tend to tighten while intake valves will tend to loosen with wear.