Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 legacy won't start after idle air overhaul

Ok...i am totally stumped. I've got a 97 legacy, 2.5l and its got roughly 210,000 miles. I don't know the history of the car before 200,000. I had a CEL for my tps sensor, and a high idle (1500)Bought new one and couldn't adjust it into range- id pushed it as far as i could in the slots, and it was very close. I noticed that if i pushed the throttle body a bit further,i would get correct value, so i put it all back together, thinking i should clean/inspect the iacv and go from there. Mind you at this point car ran. At this point i drove it for a few days, and the CEL started blinking, with misfires on 1&3. I then proceed to clean iacv, and replace ignition coil. When i try to start, i get a no start condition. The starter seems like it runs, and today, i pulled spark plug #1 and it gets spark. Replacing the spark plug did not help, and recall that car ran on old spark plugs not a week ago. Seems like the timing is off on the coil, is this possible. Timing belt was replaced about 5000 miles ago and car ran fine until iacv overhaul. I am stumped.any ideas?

Double check the large hose from IAC to air supply intake. It may have become dislodged.

O.

ANd it's hard to spot from the top unless you're really looking for it.  It's the only stiff hose lets say 1" round.  Literally follow it with your hands to both ends.

Did you remove the electronic part on top of the IAC? That needs to be aligned a certain way or the valve doesn't swing properly.

Did any other wires or hoses get unhooked while you were working in there? What about intake/airbox tubing clamped tight at both ends?

Misfiring two cylinders on the same bank wouldn't be coil related. That's usually camshaft timing.

Edited by Fairtax4me

The hoses are all on correctly. The iacv was removed, cleaned with MAF cleaner, and reinstalled with a new gasket. Any way to diagnose iacv to insure its proper function?

Also, with regards to camshaft timing, could it have changed enough to cause no start condition? Timing belt was replaced about 5k miles ago and car ran fine, aside from the tps code that started this mess. Is it possibly camshaft sensor?