Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I run the firestone winter force, i usually stud them for the black ice around here. But they work great with out them too, ive also used the cooper glacier grips, and they seem to be  the best ive used. But for the price especially on those 17s i get the firestones, i personally havent tried the blizzaks or the defenders, so i cant say on those.

If you plan on keeping the car a while it makes a lot of sense to get a spare set of wheels to mount the winter tires on. It will cost less in the long run than mounting and dismounting the tires off your wheels twice a year and reduces the chance of a careless tire tech ripping a chunk out of the tire beads.

It costs more to get TPMS wheels and sensors, but if you're OK with having the Low Tire light on the dash all winter you can save a bit more there. You can probably fit 16" wheels over the brakes in which case the snow tires will be cheaper too and you can get narrower tires that will bite into the snow better. Wide lo-pro 17" snow tires never made much sense to me.

Even though, you didn't ask, I second getting an extra set of wheels.  My preference would be for 16's, the extra set will pay for themselves within a year.

And any dedicated snow tire is going to do great.  Check tirerack pro reviews to see if one excels in a particular type of condition you will see a lot (standing water, ice, etc...)  Also tirerack will mount & balance the tires along with installing the sensors on the wheels if needed and the whole thing gets shipped to your door ready to be put on.

Edited by Virrdog

tire reviews can easily be googled or tirerack.com, other online tire vendors.  did you search for defenders, i seem to recall a thread or two about them on subaruoutback.org or the forester forum, check those out.

blizzacks are excellent.  i would be surprised if the Michelin's weren't close, i rarely buy their stuff but i respect their quality.

if traction is your driving concern, get studded tires.

at least here in the rust belt your wheels won't loose clear coat/degrade with the winters too if you have a dedicated winter set and care about that kind of thing.

I run 16 inch steel Subie wheels and Toyo ice grip snow tires (don't recall the name , but they have so called micro bits imbedded in the tread that actually grip like studs). I have the narrowest winter tire that will safely install on the 16 rims. They are 215/75/16's I believe, and don't aquaplane or ride up on top of the snow as the normal width 225 width tires will.

I put these tires and rims on my 2007 OBW in its first winter of 08, and kept them for use on my new (to me) 2012 OBW. Since they see little winter mileage, and have been stored in a cool light free storage room off seasons, the tires are still brand new looking with more than 70% tread.

Get a 2nd set of 16 inch wheels, put on a good quality winter tire, go as narrow as can be installed on the rims without bulging the center tread of the tire, and live with the TPMS light on the dash while they're installed. Its worked years for me, and its like being crazy glued to the road. No more white-knuckled winter driving.