Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie needs help with Legacy purchase please

Guest luffliffloaf

Hi I am new here, first post. My partner and I have a 88 Subaru DL (Loyale) wagon with 140K miles. Car runs great and has been extremely cheap to run and repair but the body/frame is rusted beyond help. I hear this is common for Loyales. So it is time to upgrade to a Legacy.

We are strongly considering buying a used, clean, low-mileage, possibly Southern (I am in Ohio) 1990-1996 Subaru Legacy wagon. Looking on both Autotrader and eBay in the $2000-5000 price range.

What model Legacy should I buy and what year? Also, should I buy a 2 wheel drive model or a AWD model? 2.2L? Non-Turbo? Standard tranny? Are there trouble spots I should look out for on any of these 1990-1996 Legacys?

I must stress that I want the most reliable and cheapest to repair year and model Legacy. I am a college student and it is CRITICAL to buy the best bang for the buck and that's why I am buying a Legacy to begin with, but which one???

Ultimately, I want a Legacy that has been as wonderful as the Loyale but with newer features and waaaaay less rusting!

Thanks a million,

Loomis

I'd recommend a early '90s (say 90, 91, or 92) wagon or sedan. Go with AWD if you can find it, and 5-spd.

A manual tranny is so much easier to work with/on than an automatic, and will be more fun. A FWD Legacy may be cheaper, but AWD would be great for winter.

Welcome to the newer Subaru’s. I also just recently joined the ranks of Legacies owners after 10 different 1976-1986 wagons.

For your criteria I would stay with a 90-95 Legacy. If you go newer stay with the 2.2 motor, and avoid the 2.5 that was offered in 96 and up. I would try to get an AWD 5spd Wagon. If you do find a turbo they are not as problematic as the older GL-10s, but this adds the cost of repairs if there is a breakdown because of more parts to go bad. But they are very nice, but in a wagon they only come in automatic. I believe the automatics are better than the older styles automatics but someone else on the list will have to answer this one.

You will love the Lecacy, esp if you are coming from a DL Wagon. The power, comfort, etc are great. I am also getting 30mpg with is just a bit less than my 89 was getting. And they are as reliable if not more reliable than the older wagons, imo. Plus the legacies do not stain the driveway like the older subarus do!!

Happy Legacy Hunting

• 7 years later...

95 and 96 have 2 airbags. 97 went to interference even with the 2.2

90 to 95 are very good cars but the 95 & 96 have the newer body style.

Have fun, good cars. No big deal to do headgaskets if and when the time comes. Just make sure to machine the heads and everything will be fine. And no, you do not have to remove the engine to do the job. Don't even have to remove the intake manifold. Simple job.

Good cars.

I vote for a 95 wagon FWD or AWD. Better mileage with FWD, better traction with AWD. You get OBDII, the better 2.2 engine, auto or manual trans is good. That year 2.2 is non-interence motor. You should be able to find one or even 92-94 wagon same spec's would be good.

If you update your location, then we know if you get snow or not.

Good luck!

I would have to recommend the automatic if you are on a strict budget. No clutch replacements to worry about. Mine has 343k miles on original automatic and still shifts promptly and firmly. I would say you cant go wrong with any of the 90-96 models as long as you stay away from the 2.5l (mostly auto outbacks and LSI/GT models in 96) there isnt much of a price savings going with FWD so go AWD, especially if you ever have to drive it in snow.