Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 loyale.

Have a few questions. First how often are timing belts needing to be done. And the other day when coming up to stop sign i let clutch out and there was a loud banging noise like the motor slapping engine bay. I tried to reinact it and the only way i could do it is rocking it in grass spinning front tires at about 1-1.5k rpms it would do it but once above those rpms it would stop and spin without knock. I popped hood to watch motor and it was moving but motor mounts look fine.

60k or after so many years, wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them if you don't know how old they are. You might want to pull the inspection covers and check it out before you replace it, it very well could be the belt or it could be something else.

New cv axels im sorry the clunking noise was not related to timing belt question it was a seperate question.

It sounds like a motor mount issue but they look find.

Thanx for responses.

Is there an easy way to check timing belts.

New cv axels im sorry the clunking noise was not related to timing belt question it was a seperate question.

It sounds like a motor mount issue but they look find.

Thanx for responses.

Is there an easy way to check timing belts.

Pull the covers on both sides, it might be hard getting the bolts out but just be patient. Once their off use a remote start switch to turn the engine or you can do it by hand but make sure you rotate the engine enough to see the whole belt. Look for cracks, chunks missing fraying, or teeth missing. If you see any of that change it. As for the clunking, I would jack the front end of the ground and do an inspection of the c.v.'s, ball joints, wheel bearings, ect...

Have

a few questions. First how often are timing belts needing to be done.

And the other day when coming up to stop sign i let clutch out and there

was a loud banging noise like the motor slapping engine bay. I tried to

reinact it and the only way i could do it is rocking it in grass

spinning front tires at about 1-1.5k rpms it would do it but once above

those rpms it would stop and spin without knock. I popped hood to watch

motor and it was moving but motor mounts look fine.

I had that same thing in my car after I put the engine back in following a removal for timing belts and seal refreash. There is a stabilizer bar that if not really tight will allow the engine to sway. Try tightening the bolts.

You need to remove the tire from the engine bay as this bar sits under the tire. In the photo below it is the vertical bar running from under where the spare tire sits to the engine. Not to be confused with the horizontal black bar that supports the tire.

23464490015_large.jpg

Edited by MR_Loyale

No luck was tight.

Did you check both bolts, the one under the tire well and the one attached to the engine? They need to be really tight because this bar absorbs the initial torque when the engine engages the driveline. 

Is this a 4WD or FWD, Sedan or wagon? The transaxle also has mounting bolts. Check that they and the motor mount bolts are tight as well. Don't just look at the motor mounts, get under there with a wrench and see if you can snug up the nuts.

Edited by MR_Loyale

If the axles were just replaced, there are a couple possibilities.

1--Something didn't get snugged down enough. Check *everything*.

2--It is not common, but not unheard of for axles to fail out of the box, especially cheap brands. Worth having a second shop check them out. Where are you? Someone on the board can probably do it for you, or recommend you to a shop. People are on here from all over the country/world.

I will try tonight but idk how to post a video. To answer question about speed when letting out clutch it happens right before im stopped.

Example pulling up to stop sign car is almost stopped clutch is in i see no cars put it in first let clutch out to go "california stop" and it does it.

One thing i need to do is replace bushings in shifter in process of locating them maybe that will fix it although it sounds like motor hitting engine bay so i dont think so.

Sometimes, my disc brakes stick.   Then it makes a very loud sound when they release.   If the car is new to you... you should inspect the front brake pads, rotor and calipers.   Then replace ALL the brake fluid and bleed the entire system.   Brake fluid attracts water (condensation) and should be replaced every 2 years IMHO.

Other than that, check you engine mounts, tranny mounts, cross member mounts.   Make sure it is not in 4wd.  Check/Replace tranny fluid.  Good luck and keep us posted.   Ron W. 

I have noticed breaks sticking but that is not this issue. Can the motor mounts be bad and look ok. Should the motor have play in it. I can move motor a bit by grabbing it and moving it but with my hands cant get it to clunk.

It has never clunked when starting it.

With hood open getting it to clunk i can see motor moving. Im really leaning towards motor mounts. They just look good.

If you think it may be the mounts, try chocking the wheels, then lay under the front of the car and either move the motor or have someone try to shift it. Look at the mounts and see if they are loose at all. Check the motor side as well as the cross-member side of the mounts. That is the only way to know for sure. Even if they are good, they may still be loose whoever last worked on the car messed with the nuts at all.