Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej205 pistons into ea82t?

Ibreakstuff

"Gaskets to go" Its a company ran by an ex-pat based in Thailand. They are fairly popular in the VW scene. They make custom MLS gaskets with no min quantity or tooling fees.

The alternative would just be to run felpro permatorques and cross my fingers.

How about seeing if there is any interest for a group buy?

• Like 1

Man, I've done a lot of work on this, crunched the research. WISECO has an off the shelf piston that if I called them and ordered them without valve reliefs, would work great. Yea, I've got lots of numbers. Turbone I read that thread, got some thoughts will post later. I can do some pics now. Oh, I'm fairly certain I can fit an EJ20 factory piston successfully. And it wouldn't be such a bad fit. I can fly cut any valve reliefs. Depends on id there is enough dome thickness. Aftermarket turbo usually a quarter inch plus thick dome.

EAwithEJ_zps1973fb55.jpg?t=1380560461

SubaruEARodsEJPin_zpsad33f61e.jpg?t=1380

PinEyeRadius_zps3511ebbe.jpg

KGrHqJqQFDtWQkccBQ7wg12Yg60_1_zps0d22e09

Here's the specs on that Wiseco. Oh, scroll down and read the last sentence first.

Part Number: K588M925
Notes: Pro Tru Pistons; Sport Compact Series; Set of 4 Pistons; Recommended RingSet: 9250TX; Rings & Pins Included
Manufacturer: Wiseco 
Dome Volume: -9
Comp Ratio: 8.35:1
Bore: 92.5mm
Stroke: 75
Comp Height: 32.66
Rod: 130.5
Gram Weight: 380

Product Category: Pistons
VEHICLE FITMENT
STARTYEAR ENDYEAR MAKE MODEL SUBMODEL CYL LIT FUEL FUELDEL ASP ENGDESG NOTES 1998 2011 SUBARU IMPREZA ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL Fits JDM WRXSTI EJ20 2.0L; 16Valve; DOHC; From 10/98 Production Date 2002 2005 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX ALL 2.0 ALL ALL T ALL 16Valve
PRODUCT OVERVIEW
Wiseco Pistons - Pro Tru Sport Compact Series: World
renowned for our work building race winning pistons, Wiseco utilizes
experience from a diverse background of the most sophisticated sport
compact engines.

Wiseco’s
Sport Compact Pro Tru line creates the best value in forged pistons
today. These American made pistons are forged and machined by skilled
Ohio craftsmen with state-of-the-art forging presses and CNC machines.
By using dedicated forgings specific to the final piston shape, Pro Tru
pistons are stronger and lighter than industry standards.

Pro
Tru sets include plasma moly 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 pre-gapped ring packages
which provide excellent seal, friction reduction, and long life. Pro Tru
pistons also come in a variety of volumes that allow the engine builder
to choose the exact compression ratio required for their engine.

smPro_248x50.gif

RadialgrooveinPE_zps70d12f95.jpg

KGrHqUOKj0E3BSEhJJBOJWtjUsdw_1_zps7cb3e3

Edited by Quidam

• 1 month later...

I went through the first steps and got to here:

EA82SubaruHeadGasket_zps8399e9c4.jpg

But, it's not quite correct yet as to what he wants someone to send. Far as I got, for now. I want .030 thick headgaskets, like right now. Oh well.

I've got my eye on an 'O2 Bugeye to put those pistons in.

Doug

It would be interesting to see the finished quality of a Thai reproduction...

I've sent them an email.

Did they give you a quote?

On another topic, I read a post last night that someone was modifying EA82 heads to fit an EA81, does that ring a bell with anyone? I couldn't find any topics about it...

Edited by nncoolg

Here is the reply, received on Sunday, not bad!

"Thank you for contacting me.

It is quite possible we have, although they may not have been identified as such as I don't see them in my records, which are admittedly not the best!

Do you know the name of the person who ordered those?

In any case, if you can send me an image of the gasket along with L x W dimension, thickness, and quantity I can let you know what it would cost to make for you.

Regards,

John"

Is it okay if I send the above photo and some measurements?

You don't happen to know the OE compressed thickness do you?

Edited by nncoolg

So if you compare the above gasket with oem subaru you will find the subaru one has extra steel wraps on the lower coolat pasage along the fire ring is just two small bitts of wraped steel but makes all the difference in keeping the comp outa the coolant sestem and keeping the fire ring round. This was a weak spot and subaru knew it so they beefed up the gasket

Here is the reply, received on Sunday, not bad!

"Thank you for contacting me.

It is quite possible we have, although they may not have been identified as such as I don't see them in my records, which are admittedly not the best!

Do you know the name of the person who ordered those?

In any case, if you can send me an image of the gasket along with L x W dimension, thickness, and quantity I can let you know what it would cost to make for you.

Regards,

John"

Is it okay if I send the above photo and some measurements?

You don't happen to know the OE compressed thickness do you?

Ok by me except, I messed the scan up and it's not exactly what he asked for. It's his graph paper !/4" scale squares and I had to tape two pieces together, adding...three blocks I think, on this one. I added five blocks on another. It's all so he can print out actual size, iirc.

One example out of many with Genuine Subaru gasket. iirc I torqued the heads and let it sit for twenty four hours. Removed the heads, did a second retorque, let it sit 24 more and they measured. .061.

I had planned on sending him a gasket if he doesn't have one, possibly buy twenty five sets or something if it worked out.

I'm thinking there is a use for .030 thick for SPFI and carb. .060 for turbo and those who want to keep the stock SPFI CR.

Its difficult to read the translated japanese, but are these EJ20 pistons in an EA82 block?

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ptrlabs.com%2Fxt6%2Fsyoukaku-home%2FFLAT6-turbo01.htm

turbo002.jpg

Got the reply back about the MLS gaskets:

"Hi,

Thanks. Cost for those in a pair as MLS gaksets 1.5-1.6mm thick would be $134.95 each. Cost to ship a pair via registered airmail would be $14.95. Lead time right now is 2-3 weeks.

If you decide to place an order just let me know and I will send you a PayPal invoice you can use to pay by credit card."

I asked about a bulk order, if they were stainless or mild, different thicknesses and whether a sample would be required;

"Those are made from a coated stainless spring steel just like Cometic or other MLS head gaskets.

If you were to order 10 or more I could offer them for $129.95/ea.

We can make any thickness, but price will vary with thickness.

I think it would be best to have a sample (can be returned if you want-new or used) to be safe. You can find info on shipping items to me at www.gasketstogo.com/mailing.htm"

I reckon that's pretty good pricing and lead times aye!

Well, I've been thinking about it. I don't have a Genuine Subaru headgasket on hand, and that's the only gasket I'd send him to pattern from.

Right now I don't have a need at that price and not knowing the quality...someone would have to go first and spend the $150.00. And a new OEM gasket plus shipping to them.

I'd be possibly one to do it next year. The gasket would be .030 compressed. SPFI shortblock stock, zero deck hight, tightens the quench to .030 from .060. Low lift stock subaru cams aren't a factor here with piston to valve clearance. There is quite a bit built in.

Shave the heads the .012 possibly .020. Now the motor is around 10.0 to 1 CR with the quench optimized. New gen 2 Pink heads with a mild port job.

What I had in mind for them.

• 3 months later...

Necro'ing my own post lol...

Sorry I have been away for so long, I've been struggling with back pain since my accident last year. The progress made here has been amazing! Sometime soon I will be documenting a full ea82t motor build with a bunch of goodies (and maybe the aftermath if I grenade it).

I have a spare of felpro 9392pt gasket(s), I'll get it in the mail to gaskets to go. I'd really like to get MLS gaskets soon, as I now have 2 disassembled ea82t motors to play with.. And coincidentally, I now have 2 RX's too.

Once bitten by the EA82 bug, how the hell does one have enough room to horde everything?

Called my local stealership today and was shocked to find that only 13 oem head gaskets are left in the country? I ordered one just to compare the latest OEM part# (11044AA013) against my felpro gasket, before shipping to G2G. They are probably the exact same cutout tho.

Are there any design changes to recommend for MLS production? Anyone have input on this?

I talked to John at gaskets to go, he will have a quote for me tomorrow. I wanted to make some subtle changes, or more exacting hole sizes etc to be specific.. as the aftermarket gaskets vary in actual dimensions. I will have an OEM gasket in my hands on Monday/Tuesday at the latest and it will go out the fastest USPS possible per his shipping instructions. As well as my stensils /tracings of the head and block.

Generally the head bolt holes in the gasket vary from 12-13mm, I was trying to consider if I or anyone else would ever use larger head studs.. Was just trying to think ahead, if it costs me more initially but has benefits later I'm all for it.

I'm not bs'ing here I have cash in hand for the first 2 sets, eta is how ever long it takes to ship the reference gasket to thailand and his tooling/production times (3-7 weeks total).

MLS Installation Instructions.pdf

Check this out, same felpro part number.. Purchased at the exact same time, look how different they are. The materials are totally different lol, the one on the right is stamped Canada and is much heavier. I'm so done with the current composite aftermarket  head gaskets on the ea82t.

IMG_1157.jpg

Edited by Ibreakstuff