Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RockAuto Brake Pads?

Hello Subi-Guru's

I need to order some Brake Pads from RA.  The problem is I have a 1985 EA82 Wagon 4wd  and there seems to be no entry on RA for the EA81 or EA82 (only a selection for the 1.8 H4... which could be either motor and model)

Is there a difference in front brake pads between 1985 EA81 (Hatch or Brat) and the 1985 EA82 4wd Wagon?

Anyone with experience buying pads from RA?   Part #'s?  Horror stories?

Also, as you know... The rear is drum and shoes.   Any difference between the EA81 and EA82 shoes same year 1985.   I believe there is a difference for FWD and 4WD (like 7" or 8").

Thanks in advance.   Ron W.

Yes, EA81 and EA82 are different.

With the engine listings there, OHV (over head valve...i.e. pushrods) is EA81, and SOHC is EA82.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those parts should be the same for all EA82s. When I'm looking up stuff for an EA82, I look them up for a 1989 (the least overlap in body styles). Or, look them up for the 85, but then click on the part number and look at the year ranges and models they fit, make sure brat, or anything 1984 or older is NOT on the list.

As always with RockAuto. The full Year Make Model Engine lookup is not perfect, frequently they're only reliable to Year Make Model (not even to the model with EA Subarus, as the "model" name is actually a trim level, and has nothing to do with body style). But what makes RockAuto so awesome, is they give you as much information as is available from the manufacturer about the part. In the part description it will list body styles, and other application notes, frequently even dimensions.

As for which pads to get, that's sort of a crapshoot. You can always find someone that has a horror story about everything. I've always had really good experiences with Beck/Arnley products (although I've never used their brake pads, I put a set of their shoes on my girlfriend's car). OE material on EA82s was organic, which is typically the cheapest type of pad available, so you can't really under-do it.

Edited by Numbchux

rockauto is great, there's always a %5 discount code online too when you check out.  get the code and take %5 off.

they sell the same pads as anywhere else and often times for really cheap - just be sure to crossreference the parts numbers on ebay, advance auto parts, etc to make sure it's for your vehicle.  compare pictures if you can.  as Chux said when you drill down on RA you don't necessarily end up with listings of parts that are for the vehicle you selected.  the delineations aren't as accurate as I know them to be sometimes...so choose wisely.

often times you can get %20 - %50 off via Advance Auto Parts too and pick it up locally or free shipping and it ends up being a better deal.  i order from rock auto sometimes but find Advance Auto Parts often has some smoking deals if you google "Advance Auto Parts discount code"

I've had Duracrap brake pads bonding glue fail and pull the lining out and then wreck the rotors well before they were due for changing and they were not cooked either. They may have a 'lifetime' warranty but they won't cover the damages to the rotor... Rockauto at least sells quality brands along with the crap... Summit Racing Equipment also sells regular auto parts also. You can search by vehicle or engine depending on what you need but they do not sell crap, only the top dollar parts usually.

If your OK with the crap, just order from JC Whitney. They can beat AA's prices by a lot usually.

I will second grossgary's comment to crossreference the part numbers on RockAuto. I ordered new pads for my RX last year and there were different part #'s for sedan and coupe. I have a coupe so I ordered those. When I went to install them, I noticed the front pads I received were much smaller than the ones on my car and couldn't be held by the calipers. They were not mistakenly labeled rear pads either. The rear pads I received were correct and smaller than the too-small front pads.

I went to AutoZone to check part numbers and the AZ part #'s for coupe and sedan were the reverse of what RA had. I bought what AZ said were RX coupe front pads and they fit perfectly. I emailed RA about the incorrect labeling and they refunded me for the front pads I bought but didn't want them shipped back, so I have a new set of what apparently are RX sedan front pads I'll never need. I also wonder why the sedan has smaller pads than the coupe.  :unsure:

So, double check with another store to be sure.

Yes, Rockauto's site has some mislabeled parts. I recently ordered a filler neck for my Legacy SUS. Rockauto said it needed 1 part but the manufacture listed another which also agreed with other part suppliers. 1 listed for 2.2L's and the other for 2.5L's. Rockauto had the applications swapped for the P/N's. I just punched in the right part number and ordered it straight out of rockauto without adding any vehicle information