Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement Carburetor for EA81?

Mechanic recently looked at my Brat & recommended a Carburetor rebuild or replacement.The attached image from an ebay page shows a re manufactured carburetor that is saying it will fit an 86 Brat GL.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance~

Bratmobile

post-48032-0-17569000-1372266148_thumb.png

Mechanic recently looked at my Brat & recommended a Carburetor rebuild or replacement.The attached image from an ebay page shows a re manufactured carburetor that is saying it will fit an 86 Brat GL.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance~

Bratmobile

Pretty sure that is the WRONG one.

I would not trust that listing at all.It does not even give the carb #.

Listing also claims it fits fuel injected models! Complete BS,of course.

SUB 176 is a Hitachi DCZ-328-xx rebuilt by National Carburetors.

AFAIK,DCZ-328s are for EA-82 engines(won`t fit your EA-81)

I believe the correct one would be a DCP-306-xx where the x`s represent different versions corresponding to auto/manual Califonia/Federal and year.

There is no power to be gained by removing the "emission stuff'.

No top end power gain from a weber conversion either.Mid range throttle response is better though.

Why does your mechanic want to replace the carb?

Often,this is a cop-out because they don`t know what else to say.

Just saying.

Like your paint job.

Ditching the emissions stuff doesn't help. The carb will absolutely not run correctly without all of that rats' nest all around it.

Your problem may as well be something electrical such as a vacuum solenoid, or one of the other fuel solenoids on the carburetor. One would need to understand the electrical schamatics the same as the vaccum schematics to figure this one out.

Do the Weber. Super simple installation, cleans up the engine bay, and they're VERY easy to rebuild. I have read several times that the kit never comes with everything you need. You may be better off getting everything seperately. Adapter plate, carb, shorter air filter, and the little bracket to re-position your throttle cable. I used a little redneck engineering for my throttle cable and it worked great.

id weber if emmisions or inspections aren't rigid in your state.  if they are, then get it fixed.  ask your mechanic what is actually wrong with the carb.  if he says the throttle shafts are leaking or some other non rebuildable problem then replace, but if its just cause he cant get it to tune right then ask more questions here or take it to someone who knows these cars.  its not a super complicated system, but it is non standard and  not something a mechanic may see a lot of.

the weber is mainly because its much simpler and easier to work on.  you may notice a difference on the butt dyne, but most of the time thats from having a gutted or problematic stocker to start with.  I like the car better without all that hosetry and gizmos just sitting there getting ready to fail on me.