Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear disc conversion

I am talking about a gen 2 car. Could somebody confirm this who has actually done it- It looks to me the parts needed to do the conversion are :

calipers

brackets

pads and hardware

backing plate.

brake lines

The spindle/wheel bearing/hub  are all good to go and do not need to be swapped. Is this correct? I have sourced everything except for the backing plate. If anybody has a pair, please let me know.

Thanks.

I am talking about a gen 2 car. Could somebody confirm this who has actually done it- It looks to me the parts needed to do the conversion are :

calipers

brackets

pads and hardware

backing plate.

brake lines

The spindle/wheel bearing/hub  are all good to go and do not need to be swapped. Is this correct? I have sourced everything except for the backing plate. If anybody has a pair, please let me know.

Thanks.

You will need the rear rotors and hubs from the donor car too.  I usually either swap or add the disc prop valve also. The wheel bearings and seals shouldn't need to be changed though.

Edited by Crazyeights

sorry I didn't mean hub, which I assume bolts to the rotor just like on the front. I meant then wheel bearing housing. so I add rotor/hub to the list of what is needed.

The spindle, wheel bearing and housing, which is the trailing arm, are good to go, don't need to be swapped.

sorry I didn't mean hub, which I assume bolts to the rotor just like on the front. I meant then wheel bearing housing. so I add rotor/hub to the list of what is needed.

The spindle, wheel bearing and housing, which is the trailing arm, are good to go, don't need to be swapped.

Correct. It is a very simple swap. Actually, it's easier than repairing a rear drum brake :clap:

• 7 months later...

I'm hoping to upgrade to rear discs on my 87' brat, and have been reading old threads on the parts that are required to make the swap.  I've been searching but I haven't found a list of the years/models of subaru with rear discs that will work on the brat.  So far as I can tell I need to find an 80's 4wd turbo donor car like a gl-10 in order to get the right parts.  Does that sound right to those who have done the swap? Thanks, any info would be appreciated.  

Thanks for the response and the provided link, that is great resource and has the info. I was looking for.  

"Any Subaru RX, XT Turbo, GL-10 Turbo (both wagon and sedan) will have rear disk brakes."[/size]

You're welcome, that is what makes this forum so awesome, helping each other find the info we need.