Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old Gen Caravan to WCSS?

I am sure you are all polishing up your pride and joy for WCSS. It is rewarding to get a 20+ yr old car to sparkle like new. I thought maybe some of your tips to help others out would be helpful as we all get our Subaru's ready.

Me, I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax to restore the luster:

meguiars_cleaner_wax.jpg

Also a poster from Australia gave a good tip on restoring rubber hoses and such -Glycerin. About 3 bucks at Walmart in the first aid section. I tried it and it works great.

Got a cleaning tip? Add it here.

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1

In a previous post #57,  I left a link that brings up a listing of vendors for FRS radios on Amazon. As I do not wish to see other USMB members cheated, I wish to add a caveat to the information in the link.

Do NOT buy from Packet eCommerce Solutions. They list FRS radios in the link as "Ships from CA". I did not find out until AFTER ordering and getting the FedEx tracking number that it really ships from OHIO. And I was then informed the arrival date to be Sept 4- Sep 9. Clearly I ordered based upon a C A ship from in order to get the FRS radios for the trip.  Yeah it is only $30 but I just hate it when folks are liars and based upon their own advertisment, Packet ecommerce lied. I verified with Amazon customer support that the seller provides the "ships from" information.  Had I known it would ship from OH I could have either got one-day shipping or chosen another vendor.  Didn't find out until I got the FedEx tracking number. Bait and switch in textbook form. Ordered on Aug 28, in case anyone was wondering.

Now off to Radio Shack to get an actual product. I will cancel with Packet eCommerce Solutions once I have the Radio Shack ones.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Want to keep your rubber door seals clean and moisture free?

Silicone spray and high quality paper towels. Shoot the door seams with the silicone and the wipe off the excess and rub it in a little bit.

Keeps those doors free of ice in winter and helps dirt and such slide right off.

Cleaning your windows? Use washer fluid in a spray bottle and newspaper. The newspaper won't leave any fuzz and washer fluid is the same stuff as windex, if not better.

Twitch

Want to keep your rubber door seals clean and moisture free?

Silicone spray and high quality paper towels. Shoot the door seams with the silicone and the wipe off the excess and rub it in a little bit.

Keeps those doors free of ice in winter and helps dirt and such slide right off.

Cleaning your windows? Use washer fluid in a spray bottle and newspaper. The newspaper won't leave any fuzz and washer fluid is the same stuff as windex, if not better.

Twitch

Any particular brand?

I am headed off to Longview. I want to do the run once beforehand to know if there are any unexpected things like construction or whatever. Ok, well it is also an opportunity to force my odometer to finally pas 150K. And if the return trip brings me by the Krispy Kreme during the Hot Light time, well then fate has been kind to me.  Plus I just had my driveway resealed yesterday and it needs a chance to dry. :P

I will report my findings upon my return.

OK Folks. I am in front of the Cowlitz Regional Conference Center. Traffic was light as it is a Sunday. I brought my netbook to test out the FREE WIFI. Yup, that's right - FREE WIFI. So bring your laptop or netbook if you want to blog from WCSS.  WIFI strength seems good. I am typing this from the parking lot.

TOTAL TRIP TIME: 1.5 hours  - no stops or 2.0 hours with stops at both rest stops.

loyale_crcc.jpg

Took lots of pics along the route. I will update the thread with them once I get home tonight. In the meantime, I am googling a path to Voo-Doo Donuts in Portland. Will update later tonight.

155k_loyale.jpg

Edited by MR_Loyale

Congrats on the 150K! I plan on passing the 10,000 mile mark since I bought my Loyale. It'll probably happen on the trip to or from WCSS. I'm about 500 miles away.

After the show, I plan on going to Portland, and/or to Mt. St. Helens. Hopefully my work schedule will allow it, but I might camp Sunday night at/near Mt. St. Helens (if I can find a spot to do so).

Also, I bought and received two FRS radios, but obviously I only need one. So I'll have an extra radio for whoever needs it.

I think I may be jumping on this here band wagon, if i can find a buddy to roll along with. I'm gonna do a couple of things to my hatch, but I'm sure she's road trip ready !

I'm not far from the Tacoma mall at all, ill be in a blue '86 Hatchback. I don't have an FRS radio but I may just wire up my Cb for the weekend.

Pre-Trek Recon Trip Report

I passed the meetup point Krispy Kreme at approximately 1:30 pm. I will present this as if we are heading from the rendezvous to the destination with points of interest along the way. This is our starting point at the Krispy Kreme:

start.jpg

Our meetup point is the parking lot to the left of the Krispy Kreme. Look real close on the left and you can see the blue donation

bin under the tree. We will meet in this lot. Look for the 6ft Subaru flag.

The trip is approximately 90 miles taking us from milepost 129 to milepost 39. As we travel southbound on Interstate 5, the mileposts get smaller in number because it is a measure of the mileage as measured from Vancouver Washington. So we will start out at about 129 and get off exit 39 near Longview/Kelso. As we get onto I5 southbound we will be under a 60 mph speed limit.

Keep your eyes open at about milepost 105 as we pass by Olympia, the capital of Washington. Around the bend you will see the dome of the Legislative building where the crooks raise taxes, uh er our fine politicians meet to decide the issues of the day.

6043741234_fe52c87d60_m.jpg5919164550_5342435c2e.jpg

The building was designed by Walter Wilder and Harry White and construction was completed in 1928. This building is the dominant feature of the capitol grounds, with its dome 287 feet (87 m) high, making it the tallest self-supporting masonry dome in the United States, and fourth tallest in the world, surpassed only by St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, St. Paul's Cathedral in London, and St. Isaac's Cathedral in St. Petersburg.

Just past Olympia the speed increases to 70 mph.

speed_up.jpg

At exit 93 is the Maytown Rest Area. This is approximately 30 minutes out from the starting point. It has picnic tables and a nice dog walking area to let your pooch stretch his legs and empty his  bladder. I took some pics:

maytown_ra_1.jpg

ra_dog_walk_area.jpg

maytown_ra_2.jpg

If you are unfamiliar with rest areas in Washington State, most have free coffee and cookies offered by various non-profit

groups as shown above. The particular groups rotate and so do the offerings. Donations are accepted but not required. The

flash went off on my camera and surprised this woman.

At milepost 82 there is roadwork for 5 miles and the speed is reduced from 70mph to 60mph.Though workers were not active on Sunday, they probably will be there on Friday. Better not speed in this area as the fines are doubled in work zones.

At milepost 76 the speed increases from 60mph to 70mph. This will be the speed for the remainder of the trip.

The second and final rest stop is the Toutle River rest area about 30 minutes more down the road. Some of you may recall the name Toutle River as it became famous as part of the 1980 eruption of Mount St Helens. The course of the river was altered during the eruption. Though named for the river, the rest area isn't actually on the river so there is no danger if St Helens decides on a WCSS send-off on Friday. Here are some pictures of the rest area:

toutle_river_ra1.jpg

This rest stop comes with its own guy begging for change with a sign. Needs money for food? Someone should have told him about

the free cookies and coffee.

toutle_river_ra2.jpg

From there it is about 30 minutes more to our exit.

exit39.jpg

Turn right onto Allen

exit_39_to_allen.jpg

Head across the bridge

allen_over_bridge.jpg

Go over the bridge. Then just on the other side is 1st street. Turn left. Continue down 1st avenue until we get to Washington Street. This intersection conveniently houses both the County Courthouse on the left and a bail bondsman on the right, so if you are unruly at WCSS, you can locate your bondsman one short step from the courthouse grounds.

Turn right at the big sign of the striped jail bird:

right_onto_washington.jpg

Turn to the right at this light. Just to the left is the Cowlitz County Courthouse. Wen I took this picture someone was in a car

waiting to meet a bondsman. She asked me if I was one of the investigators.

Keep heading on down about .3 mile and the Cowlitz Regional Conference Center is on your left. I took 2 hours because of stopping at both rest stops adding 30 minutes to the trip. Keep in mind there won't be a show on Friday, just camping. Here is a small map:

map.jpg

Edited by MR_Loyale

I think I may be jumping on this here band wagon, if i can find a buddy to roll along with. I'm gonna do a couple of things to my hatch, but I'm sure she's road trip ready !

I'm not far from the Tacoma mall at all, ill be in a blue '86 Hatchback. I don't have an FRS radio but I may just wire up my Cb for the weekend.

PM me your info and I will bring an FRS radio for you to use.

Skylar as long as you have been driving it around and haven't had any weird noises or other things that make you wonder you should be fine.. a longer road trip would not be amiss.. Today would be your last chance to get that done before the work week actually starts.  We will be heading through Puyallup sometime around 12ish I think.  

ALl that driving has taken its toll on my poor sedan. I drove it to Sammammish today and on theway back it made some bad sounds. Upon initial acceleration in any gear when you are first heavy on it, it made a sort of scratching noise. THen I noticed when I start from a stop as soon as I release the clutch I hear a tonal ping as if two pieces of metal or a triangle( remember that percussion instrument).

Sound similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLYYvrHn5lg

I am thinking the throwout bearing has come apart. Funny thing is that the sound while accelerating went away if I pressed in the clutch. I thouhgt at first it might have been the transmission.

Is there anyone in Bremerton willing to come take a look?

difficult but not impossible to do in a day maybe two.  I am sorry to hear it though

I am going to have help on this. If it isn't the transmission I think we can get er done. No matter what though, Subie Trek will happen. Let's stick to the plan and I will see all your great cars Friday.

T-MINUS 35 HOURS TO TAKEOFF.

Have to clean up my sunroof and reseal it redneckishly (scrap steel and JB Stick) so I don't get rained on for the show while in my car, because that would SUCK. No time to weld it properly.

Fresh Oil Change tomorrow night, all fluids topped up and spares in the trunk.

All my camping crap (sleeping in the car this year) and coolers should be loaded tomorrow night.

I can't wait for this. I finally have a car that I will have some form of hearing left at the end of the trip!

And power! 65-70mph is peak torque for the EA82T :D

Oh and I have to put the interior back together. Rust cleanup required the removal of the whole upper interior...

Twitch

Wish I could go... my father was air lifted to wanatchee icu on Tuesday.. he's still in a coma and I ain't leaving him ... besides I blew a head gasket somewhere between moses lake and wanatchee but I caught it in time waited to cool. Topped it off and got to the htal...

Props to twitch for giving me courage for a liquid fix ... used blue devil hg fix and now seems to be working better than ever thanks twitch!!! No mpre over heating that I'm aware of...(no temp p guage ) but I know the car pretty well so we will see how ot takes snoqualmie and blewotpass on the way home to hilltop

Good news -  Northwet and JJ421 came over to my place. We tried and tried to get the ping to return, and I could not get it to happen. There is a sound when accelerating between 1700 to 2300 RPM in 3rd but it is probably an exhaust rattle. Northwet was pretty sure it wasn't a driveline issue. 

Thank you very much to Norhwet and JJ421. Nice folks willing to help someone out they never met before.

Tomorrow's forecast is for RAIN:

fri_forecast.jpg

Let's hope "Heaviest Rain Early " means 8am or so.  Make sure your wipers work well and the washer fluid is full. If those old blades leave big streaks and the blades are old and worn, get some new ones.  Decent ones aren't expensive and fluid is cheap.

Check that both headlights and braking lights work. You don't want the guy behind you to plow into your pride and joy because he couldn't tell you slammed on your brakes. How silly would it feel to have your car smashed because of a 99 cent bulb available at almost any store - including most grocery stores?  Bring a spare too.

Edited by MR_Loyale