Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spark plug tube grommets are leaking oil.  see how the spark plugs go through the valve covers - there are gaskets there to prevent the exact issue you're having.  very common.

replace the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube gaskets at the same time.  i've seen some Fel Pro kits have both of those included.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-12-Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-Outback-Forester-2-2L-2-5L-Valve-Cover-Set-EJ22-EJ25-/281098480635?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item4172c66bfb&vxp=mtr

the gasket on the left side of the photo shows the spark plug tube grommets "inside" of it - that's just for reference - verify the part numbers you need, though i think that may be the right one.

Edited by grossgary

GG. I managed to get the gaskets / grommets (Fel Pro) at Auto zone at a reasonable price. The place i usealy goto cost about 20% more for same thing.  

It went pretty smoothly, took me about 3 hours to complete. The hardest part was getting to the back bottom bolt on both sides.

The left valve cover was a bit tricky too manuver out / in but I just took my time. Takeing out the battery and wiper jug helped alot.

Thanks again for your help.

99 Outback Sport

AKA Gary

• 1 year later...

Usually none-oe Bucket Gaskets usually leak, its one of fthe few arts where OE is better. 

Also you will need new wires as the engine oil damages the silicon in the wires.

If it has never been done replace your PCV valve too, as it takes some stress off the seals.

• Like 1

I got the Fel-Pro full valve cover gasket kit.  Going to put it in why I have access to a lift.  guessing it will be easy on the lift.

Slightly maybe. But the way to really make it easy is to unbolt exhaust at the heads and one motor mount at a time. After each mount is unbolted, jack under oil pan and the engine will tilt up on one side making that valve cover easier to remove.

• 4 months later...