Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 carb EA82 wiring diagram wanted. Freaky problems. Previous owner was an IDIOT!

Well, besides the charge light being on all the time, and the emergency brake indicator glowing dimly, the other weird thing is when I turn on the headlights, the brake fluid indicator comes on.

The charge light. I have the correct alt putting out 14.5 tops, and the battery connections are clean on a new battery. I think this is a loose wire as it pulsates to the bumps in the road.

the brake fluid indicator light on with the headlights. Would like to see a wiring diagram to see how the headlights and warning lights tie in together.

I'm guessing a ground.

The radio doesn't have constant power so it forgets all the presets when you turn it off. PITA.

Need to know what wire in the engine harness goes to the choke tang on my Weber DGEV. I'm guessing the blue wire.

Suggestions?,

Jay

Yes, the car did run with the coil wires on backwards. Fuses and links are OK, Checked them with a meter.

I believe this is going to be a gremlin hunt unless someone has experienced the same problems.

John, Emailed you.

More suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay

Have replaced wires and plugs with NGK products since the picture was taken and

built 2" exhaust from the heads to the oversized cat, then 2 1/2" out the back with a low flow muffler.

Weber_trial_85_DD_015.jpg

Jay:

There are 2 carb diagrams in the FSM for 85. 2wd and 4wd. I'll mail you photocopies of both.

Once you can establish that the wiring is correct, we can deal with the drivability issues. It's going to be tricky because it looks like (judging by the pic) that much of the OEM system is gone. Needless to say, the wrong emissions setup in a car like a mid 80's carberated Sube, will make the car run like sh*t.

Fortunately, the basics still apply, and you should be able to make this thing run smooth again. Hopefully, you don't live in a state where registration officials pay close attention to this sort of thing.

good luck, John

thanks for the copies. The car actually runs like a top. Bumped the timing up tonight and got rid of the "secondary stumble" when you step down on it.

The problem I'm having is with the dash wiring, Funky things.

Found another tonight, might be a clue. the rear wiper control switch has correct output current to the motor in the back. The motor on the other hand, never gets the current. If I hit the switch you can hear the belt on the alt and the charge light goes out as long as the wiper switch is on. Hmm.

thanks again for the diagrams.

Regards,

Jay