Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat with a blown motor, worth saving?

Depends on what condtion the body is in. If the body and the interior are in good shape and doesn't need a whole lot then yah its worth a thousand. How many miles are on it? I have found three 78 brats for my dad over 3 years and all together they costed $650. One was $200, the another was $100, and the last one was $350. All of them came with canopies, 2 came with role bars and brush guards, while the other came with a winch bumper. 2 of them needed new motors one sat outside with water in for 3 years and the other sat so long that the rings got stuck the other sat 15 years and started with new gas and a battery. It all comes down to how bad you want it, like it, and the price. I love brats and i like modifying them i personally would drop a ea81 and a 5 speed dual range 4wd in one with a weber carb. plus a couple inch lift to run 14 or 15 inch rims also so the 5 speed will fit without having to cut the transmission tunel up to fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys, here it is. The car was repainted some point in it's life, but it was done pretty well. I just got done wiping it down and ripping out the speakers that were just screwed into the door panels. I also put some protect-ant (not armor-all) on all of the trim and rubber (except tires). I think the interior is pretty tired and needs help. Not sure what panels are missing, hopefully someone can shed some light. Tell me what you guys think? Really the only damage that this car has is the front passenger turn signal / fender / corner of the hood. All in all, almost zero rust and it looks damn good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48004531@N06/sets/72157638500708473/

Edited by spicypeanut
  • Like 2