Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can't find the right exhaust manifold gasket

odie

yep...nothing I find matches.  85 Brat.  every parts search comes up the same...a simple  doughnut looking gasket.  Felpro 91443.  Search on line, Autozone, Orielly, etc...all list and show a basic round gasket for the head to manifold.   

But what came off my engine and what is depicted in the Haynes manual is a gasket with a pair of bolt holes.  Basically looks like a typical thermostat gasket.  But no auto parts place matches this in their system.

what gives?  I see nor feel any recessed area on the head or manifold that would hold and retain a ring gasket that lacks bolt holes.

how much do those bad boys run at the Subie dealer? Is it even a stocked item for our older cars? I'm not a fan of over priced dealer stuff but there is one about an hour away and it might be worth the drive. Otherwise I can order a pair on line. all the local parts places list that "flange gasket" but not avail or special order.

how much do those bad boys run at the Subie dealer? Is it even a stocked item for our older cars? I'm not a fan of over priced dealer stuff but there is one about an hour away and it might be worth the drive. Otherwise I can order a pair on line. all the local parts places list that "flange gasket" but not avail or special order.

If you make the drive, look at it this way.  Everybody gets to hear how well your engine is running, whether they want to or not. ;)

Gaskets at the dealer are actually cheaper than you would think. especially for the quality. i think its maybe a few bucks more and they usually keep it in stock. i go down the dealership and the almost always have the gaskets i need. other major parts not so much. takes a few days for those

The gasket number I posted is for the Y-pipe to head.

The doughnut gasket you 1st posted on, sounds like Y-pipe to mid-pipe gasket. Unless, it's about a 1/4" in width, maybe 2-1/4" in diameter. That would be for the ASV adapter to head.

There is another gasket, mid-pipe to muffler, it's just in front of the rear wheel/axle.

went down the the subie dealer...they were pretty clueless. Brat? What model is that? L something? Not seeing anything older than 87...

glad y'all gave me the part number...special order...they don't even have a schematic or anything so I hope the right thing shows up...

well cheap enough anyway. about $5 each...

Spaz..as for your homemade exhaust gasket, I am nothing short of amazed. But if it works it works.

• Like 1

'87 was last year of BRAT here in the USofA, Hatches ran until '89.

Best to use the '84 model year when buying parts, you will get less "wrong parts" that way, especially ordering on line. The EA82 vehicles came out in '85.

As far as the exhaust, intake, thermostat/gasket goes, EA82 ones fit. So one could use a '90 Loyale as vehicle to order parts for. Starters and alternator's will also fit, just so you know.

And yeah, the gaskets are fairly low cost from the dealer. I usually order a couple engine worth of them when I do an order, just cause.

If found long ago if i wanted a quality exhaust gasket it was either dealer or napa but if i went to napa i would have to ask for a 85 or 86 turbo EA82.  Those gaskets were really nice and are still in my former subaru doing fine im sure.  They will fit the EA81s perfectly.  

That gasket they gave you is the head to 'manifold'. You want the pipe to manifold which is the Fel-Pro # and the inner opening on it is slightly bigger, but not enough to cause any sealing issues.

it sounds like Subaru has the verbige all backwards...anyway, it's not exactly a rare part...how has something as simple as an exhaust gasket gotten so messed up in the parts world?