Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turn signals not working, 97 OBW

My turn signals have suddenly stopped working. They don't flash either on the console or on on the car itself. They worked one night and the next morning they just didn't. I have checked all the fuses under the steering column and they all light up on both metal contacts. All of the fuses under the hood do as well (at least those that have metal contacts).

Any leads or places to start would be useful. I will report back here with my progress. Thanks, folks.

Are your hazards working? Turn the hazards on and see if they all flash. If you hold the turn signal stalk (either direction) do they light up in the dash and outside? (I'm assuming they are like other cars that will at least light up w/o flashing and stay on as long as you hold the stalk lever)

If hazards aren't working either, then suspect a faulty flasher relay. If hazards ARE working, your turn signal switch might have failed and it's part of the stalk lever, which means you need to unscrew the column cover, remove the screws fastening the lever switch to the core column, and replace the unit. Very expensive to replace, and better to find used in a lower mileage or newer/compatible car.

Are your hazards working? Turn the hazards on and see if they all flash. If you hold the turn signal stalk (either direction) do they light up in the dash and outside? (I'm assuming they are like other cars that will at least light up w/o flashing and stay on as long as you hold the stalk lever)

If hazards aren't working either, then suspect a faulty flasher relay. If hazards ARE working, your turn signal switch might have failed and it's part of the stalk lever, which means you need to unscrew the column cover, remove the screws fastening the lever switch to the core column, and replace the unit. Very expensive to replace, and better to find used in a lower mileage or newer/compatible car.

Hazards are not working. I happen to already own a full multifunction switch for my car (long story). Is it possible that the signal switch might be loose and just needs tightening or is it more likely that it's simply failed?

Multi-function switch? I'm assuming you rigged something then in place of the factory switch? If that's the case, then yeah, it could be that. I'd probe whatever wires you have running to it for 12v+ power and work back from there (some sort of "short" could be there and messing up the circuit), though I suspect your flasher relay is bad. I know on older cars (haven't messed with one in ages) they used to have a round flasher relay (what actually creates the blinking effect) and if it failed, turns wouldn't work. Some cars had 2 independent ones, one for turns, another for hazards IIRC. I know my old 79' Cobra had no working flashers/hazards and a new flasher relay fixed it.

Time to bust out the voltmeter and find out where the issue is. For thoroughness, I'd check the actual bulbs in all 4 corners and make sure they are all OK as well. Although unlikely, it is possible to either have all or some burned out (like say they were overloaded and burned out). I know my 95' had both rear brake light bulbs/running light burned out in the rear and I could swear they worked when I bought it. Both filaments where scorched.

My info shows it on the left side behind the cover under the steering wheel. Remove the cover and look for it on the left side of the opening. The wire colors going to the socket are brown/red, blue/yel, and black.

With the hazard switch in the OFF position power from fuse 1 passes through the hazard switch and on to the brown/red wire. So you should see power on that wire. When the turn signal switch is on I think you then should see pulsing power on the blue/yel wire if the module is working correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

I plugged in my backup multifunction switch. It was able to turn on and off the window wipers and headlights but I was unable to activate either of the turn signals. It appears the issue is not in the MFS but elsewhere. I have an appointment with an auto electrical genius on Monday.

steering colum switch or has a 1156 bulb in a 1157 hole had two outbacks in the last week with 1156 single pin bulb in a 1157 duel pin socket this shorted the brake and tail lights across the circuit blowing the fuse and melting the tail socket. If you did this on front light would short the marker lights to the signal lights. But also have had a few with bad coulum switchs but mostly only will work one way or work when wiggled check signal / taillight fuses

Not sure what the "hazard switch" is but there is that little round thing on the inside fuse panel that could be the source of the problem. I just always call it a flasher. It breaks the current to the lights. 

The hazard switch is the actual button/switch on the dashboard. It's where the lights from both sides cross over, but it appears to not be where my fault lies. I am going to look for this "little round thing" now.