Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fumoto Oil Valve

tons of people use them and love them.  reduced risk of cross threading and mis-tigthening or forgetting to retighten.

lots of people are afraid of hitting something or otherwise compromising oil.  a plug has one possible leak/failure point, the valve has two - "twice" the risk a person focused on points of failure might say.

they're very common and you can simply google it.  take your pick which group you're in.

i don't use them, i have too many vehicles to bother.

Edited by grossgary

'Quick change' types of set-ups for oil draining have been around for years.  Whenever I see the thin black trail about half way between the yellow and white lines on the road, I say to myself:  "Self, did someone have an oil change incident?  Plug loose or one of those valve thingies?

I prefer a singular positive seal to my oil pan.  Plug.  I do not worry about impact or corrosion.  I have a skid plate and I remove it for oil changes.  Couple extra minutes for removal and re-install.

There is no such thing as a 'no-mess' oil change.  You always have wiping/cleaning, inspecting and disposal.  It is merely a case of small messes versus huge messes.

I use one of these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm3134 + http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/aer-fbm3117

I love it because I just throw a hose on the end and put it straight into a bottle, no mess at all.

A little more expensive, but unless you're rock crawling and break it off theres pretty much no chance of an accidental release.

You can also by a version of the Fumoto that allows fitment of a pipe/hose so you can empty the oil into a bottle.

I have the plain version (its cheaper) but have never installed it! I have never had an issue with the OEM drain plug so have never bothered to fit the Fumoto.

The biggest issues talked about online for these are the restricted oil flow (takes longer for the oil pan to empty) and because of the way it fits into the pan not all of the used oil can drain out. As the threads of the Fumoto completely fill the oil drain hole and they are not removed for an oil change, it tends to block the oil from completely draining from the pan. Also, for off road use, some people have suggested you may catch the release lever on rocks/dirt/mud and as it is only spring loaded it could potentially open. I have never heard of this happening however!

None of this is from experience, just 'hypotheticals' I have read online.