Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Automatic Transmision HELP

I need help with my 87 GL 10 turbo wagon.. Yesterday after work driving home the trans would not shift from 1st gear into 2nd. I had to drive home 2 miles in 2nd gear.. If I put it in drive it will not up shift to 2nd nor 3rd.. I checked the fluid level and it is fine.. Susy only has 74000 miles and has been good till now.. Any ideas would be appricated.. It is tuff being poor and your ride broke... HELP Please, Thanks, Taz :(

Any junkyards around you? Its not that expensive a part to grab from a junkyard and its relatively straightforward to replace. Search these forums for the words applecore 3at governer gear. Is your trans def. A 3 speed not the 4 some gl10s had?

The governor itself however is not available from Subaru, even though they do list the part. I got one from Craigslist. Check out the CL from various Subaru haunts (Denver, Washington State, Portland, OR, Vermont). Look for folks parting out one with an AT (probably because it won't shift out of 1st). Mine wouldn't work, but it wasn't apple cored. Clean it and de-burr as per the instructions on here (crocus cloth - get some) and you may be back in business. But get a spare governor nonetheless.

Oh, and you don't need to get under the car. You can at it from the top on the RH side of the trans under the domed cover. If you can loosen 3 10mm bolts, you can change a governor.

Edited by Luvn737s

The governor itself however is not available from Subaru, even though they do list the part. I got one from Craigslist. Check out the CL from various Subaru haunts (Denver, Washington State, Portland, OR, Vermont).

HEHE, great advice, but I can tell you; it's outdated. You might want to rule out Vermont unless you're looking for an EJ... Millions of those around here. Literally, when you drive 70 miles (round trip) to work every day over here (probably in a Subaru), every second or third car you meet on the road is another Subie (and anything that's more than 10 years old has 250k miles on it.).   That being said, the EA's are GONE. With the rust issues we deal with, even the best EA's ended up in a junk yard ten years ago due to fatal cancer, and got cubed five years ago. It's been probably 17 years since I've seen a Brat in person..  I can't even find a tail light housing or fender for my Loyale... Junkyards don't have a single EA82 still around. Dealers in this area have already done away with EA parts, and certain parts, even fan belts are special order from part stores. And, even most of the die-hard EA fans have given up on their beloved because of unmanageable rot.... It's really discouraging...

I see pics from people out west that bought a junk, non-running EA for like a hundred bucks because it was going to scrap if they didn't buy it, and they're wondering if it's worth putting parts into it to get it running again, etc,  and the body/underside of the car is just incredible. Like, over here it would be something somebody would pay a grand for without any drivetrain, just because there's no rust under it. Yet, it's just junk over there.... Again, it's really discouraging.

Anyway, My rant has ended. My apologies. I'm trying to do what I can to rehab and save these wonderful old machines but I'm afraid you'll need to scratch Vermont off your list of "go-to" places.

Edited by Tofutti

My sentiments the same. I am on a hoard of a few parts with no cars to put them on, and anyone who can use whole parts too far away to be practical. I had to have guys from michigan come my way to rescue parts for their cars

Inspect the governor gear at least. If its not stripped, the component can be cleaned out and function restored. It's a super easy R&R

If you need a taillight (wagon) i have one that will fit in the mail if you need it.

• 2 weeks later...

My sentiments the same. I am on a hoard of a few parts with no cars to put them on, and anyone who can use whole parts too far away to be practical. I had to have guys from michigan come my way to rescue parts for their cars

Inspect the governor gear at least. If its not stripped, the component can be cleaned out and function restored. It's a super easy R&R

If you need a taillight (wagon) i have one that will fit in the mail if you need it.

Miles, I would LOVE a right side taillight for a '92 Loyale if you've got one. Shipping ZIP code would be 05647.. PM me!

Well the govoner gear was the problem and hope to have the repair done today. Thanks for all of the help guys..No to get my 98 outback wagon fixed is next. What are the chances of having 2 subarus broke down at the same time.. Must be my lack of luck..