Ultimate Subaru Message Board

correct me if im wrong....

Small leak in my radiator over this last summer, so i just kept a gallon of water in the car and filled it when low. (So no antifreeze at all). Winter- water pump frozen solid while driving= water FLOWING out of timing belt cover. And engine timing knocked outa the park. My diagnosis- may need new water pump, definitely water pump gasket and timing belt.

It still runs, but rough. No white smoke.

My question: is it still possible i blew a head gasket, even with no smoke??

You froze the engine and block. I'm not sure why the engine timing is knocked out, but you could have done all sorts of injury with a frozen block, including cracking it if a freeze plug didnt pop.

SUbarus don't smoke when they blow a HG most the time, but they will blow fluid out of the radiator.

Edited by nipper

if water froze then anything is possible. 

it's been below freezing many times and down to negative 10 out here, i suspect the same there - so who knows how many freeze cycles it's had?

the heads have freeze plugs in them i believe, so if those are popped they'll need replaced. i've never seen it but others have talked about it on rare occasion.

Small leak in my radiator over this last summer, so i just kept a gallon of water in the car and filled it when low. (So no antifreeze at all). Winter- water pump frozen solid while driving= water FLOWING out of timing belt cover. And engine timing knocked outa the park. My diagnosis- may need new water pump, definitely water pump gasket and timing belt.

It still runs, but rough. No white smoke.

My question: is it still possible i blew a head gasket, even with no smoke??

Dude, you should have spent just a little more time with the car instead of the girl.