Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My voltage meter is going crazy.

I have a 91 Loyale that I drove off the showroom floor 23 years ago. Last week my voltage meter dipped for a short time and since then it has been spiking way up, then normal, then way up.  Is my alternator going out or could it be something else?

Im thinking that so far, two of my Subes as they hit age 23 had their fusible links corrode away and crash causing alarming volt spikes/surges that killed my car - not the ECU though, smoked all sorts of circuits under the dash, killed warning lights, my auto 4WD selector for when wipers.kickdown & braking circuit function, fried my hazrds bulbs when I hit the hazards, fried my roof light when I opened door. The corrode away did not kill things, it was the connect/disconnect of the FL that caused alt to spike up. Check FLs, can even replace with more modern plastic box units that slide in.

More info here >>

http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18205&highlight=fusible+links

Edited by jono

Since the alternator supplies the power to keep the battery charged up and electrical items running problems like this are usually always related to the alternator. Sometimes the internal voltage regulator can be an issue when voltage spikes up over the normal range. Bad output diodes can also be a problem and cause excessive AC ripple voltage which can cause strange things to happen, like wipers turning on when they shouldn't be.

Agreed. Not time to worry yet. Replace as mentioned above and if, after replacing those things, you're still having trouble, *then* I'd worry a little. So far so good though. Keep us posted! Nice to hear you've had your car since new, is it up in the member's rides section at all?

Uh Oh, you guys are getting me worried, especially jono - sounds like this could get very expensive.

No I think you missed his point.

Fusible links are cheap and easy to replace.....and even update to newer better type SlowBlow Fuses....

Doing that might help save you money replacing electrical units later.

Checking on the condition of fusible links is definately the first thing to check

Im having the same type problem, my voltage meter is always at the top of the range (18 volts) while driving and comes down to normal voltage at idle. Any suggestions?

its in a 1991 Loyale, non-4WD

Edited by thekauz

If the voltage spikes continue or become more prolonged, it risks burnign out components or boiling over the battery thus ruining it. The rule is a bad alternator will kill a good battery, and a bad battery will kill agood alternator.

check the output lead on the alternator terminal as it can become corroed or brittle causing an abnormal resistance causing more draw on the alternator. Inspect the length of this white cable back to the battery terminal for broken insulation or corrosion.

Check the output voltage of the alternator and see what it is. If the voltage is low there then chances are the alternator is the problem. If the output voltage is good then check the voltage across the battery posts. If that is low then there is either a blown fuse or a bad connection the alternator output lead. If the voltage is good then check the voltage getting to the fuses in the panel under the hood. If they are low then there is a bad connection between the battery and the panel. Check the smaller wire between the battery and the panel for a problem. It may be a good idea to clean the battery connections also at this time.