Ultimate Subaru Message Board

super charging ea-81

I've got an 84 wagon with an ea 81. I'm not ready to go full EJ22, and I was talking with some people about low pressure supercharges from light aircrafts. I'm not looking to build a monster, but just help compensate for Colorado altitude. Thought?

I know there was talk from a few people here that had picked up superchargers cheap and were going to do it, but never heard the end result. There are several Aussies on the board who have done it. Based on the sturdiness and condition of the engine, Both it and the tranny should take 6psi of boost without any issues. Hopefully one of them will chime in for experience.

search on ausubaru.com for users Tweety and Brumberty - set any date in advanced search. Tweety got very thirsty so SC went up for sale, Brumberty went EJ20G and his SC went from Tasmania  to Subarino?  in West Australia for EJ SC conversion

• Like 2

I come from the aircooled vw scene and I'm finding good stuff there. Side draft carbs and blow through set ups seem to be the way to go. I'd prefer to try and use the stock carb and re jet, but it seems I would need to prep the carb for forced induction...

• Like 1

some people have even done it to ea71's 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/134819-ea71-with-turbo-and-harley-davidson-mikuni-carb/?hl=%2Bturbo+%2Bea71

My stock 83 turbo wagon and the one i sold just 1 upped you :D but you get a manual <_< which would really bring the engine to life. I'm tempted just to put a 4 speed in my turbo wagon but if the transmission doesn't start shifting better its definetly going in.

4 speeds are junk, I highly recommend gping 5spd

HEY NOW!

Ok, I admit I can definitely relate to how much better a 5 speed would be.

Sometimes, it's just LAGGGG in a certain gear. :/

Also, ditto for the Nasturally aspirated engine, as I see it: I would not be driving my old Subie on my budget for very long if it had a turbo ;-)

Edited by SnatchedHatch

I found this to be kind of helpful to understanding the mods needed for a blow through setup

http://vs57.y-block.info/carb.htm

I need to find out if anyone has modded the Hitachi carb for this. Draw through setup would require the purchase of a side draft carb, and all of the general mods to hook it up. I'm staying optimistic that modding the stock carb for blow through is still easier.

I remember that wagon! Your in Englewood right? And yes that was my brat on Craig's.

I was actually living in golden when I sold the wagon, it had black white spoke rims with chrome beauty rings. That thing was so straight and ran great. I REALLY regretted selling it but had to for some reason or another. I think the guy I sold it to lived in the capitol hill area and maybe his name was Josh? We now have since moved to Cheyenne and apparently im the only older subaru lover here as everyone looks at my lifted wagon like its a spaceship haha. I see the WRX guys but its not the same. That brat of yours looks great man, how many ridiculous offers did you get off of craigslist?