Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spfi-89 gl wagon not running good

heres the story on my 89 4wd automatic wagon. The temp never even comes up past 1/4 the way up the gauge.... when accelerating it hesitates bad untill you like floor it then itll kinda take off slowly. what do you think is wrong? fuel tank additives help out at all? it also doenst seem to get that great of gas mileage although automatics probably dont this one doesnt seem to be well at all could a temp sensor do anything? thanks

matt

Check for computer codes. Could be a sensor malfunction - hopefully the ECU has already caught it.

I wouldn't worry about the temp - sounds like it's got a good cooling system. If you need it warmer, then possibly a higher temp thermostat... or some cardboard over part of the radiator.

GD

thanks, so far i havent seen any vac. leaks, i changed the filter and i havent checked the pump or anything. it doesnt have a check engine light but ill try to plug the computer in it and see if it is throwing any codes, who knows maybe the bulb isnt even in it for the check engine light... thanks

matt

If your coolant level is ok then your thermostat may be stuck open.

To see if your CEL light works just turn the ignition to the on position and it should light up with the rest of the warning lights. If it doesn't, then the lamp is bad or possibly the circuit to it from the ECU has a problem which I have seen in the past. It may be a bad driver IC in the ECU.

I'm gonna go with a stuck thermostat or possibly a bad thermo switch, if the engine is always running in closed open loop, it'll run real rich and could dog out on you. check to see if your coolant temp sensor is within specs after you check out your thermostat.