Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please help! is it obd1 or obd2? How to know

Please help! I am going to do a 2.5 to 2.2 swap, I found a 1995 2.2 out of an Impreza. AT, EGR, dual port exhaust. The guy at the wrecking yard says it is a late model and is an obd2 which would make it perfect. How can I know for sure? I am going to drive a long ways to get this engine because it only has 96k on it. I have been told that only legacy`s switched to obd2 in 1995 but then another kind gentleman told me that is not true. How do I know for sure?? vin# on engine? vin# from the car? or are there markings on the engine itself? I am new to all this Subaru stuff, Because I bought a 1996 outback with a 2.5 DOHC Need I say more?  Thank you for reading and helping.

I feel your plight, Bob.  If the guy at the yard is pleasant and cooperative and if the engine is still in the Imprezza (or if the car's body still exists)--ask him to go see if it has an OBD2 port!  (It should be under the dash, to the left of the steering column.)

Simplistic I know--but that's how my mind works!

Good luck.

Edited by Olnick

Yes, check the emissions sticker under the hood if the engine is still in the car. If not, the only way to tell will be to look at the connectors for the main engine harness.

Luckily, the whole harness comes off easily and most of the plugs should be the same on the sensors. So even if the harness isn't right, you can swap your harness off of your original manifold.

Yes, check the emissions sticker under the hood if the engine is still in the car. If not, the only way to tell will be to look at the connectors for the main engine harness.

Luckily, the whole harness comes off easily and most of the plugs should be the same on the sensors. So even if the harness isn't right, you can swap your harness off of your original manifold.

So are you saying that if it is an obd1 I can take the harness off my 96 2.5DOHC and put it on the obd1 intake?

worst case you would have to swap in an ej22 OBD2 intake manifold .

the ej25 engine harness will probably work as log as the sensors are all the same.

a visual comparison should be enough.

but there is a good chance that the engine will drop in and run.

most of the OBD2 differences are in the computer,

not the sensors.

but i'm not 100% sure of that.

the cam and crank sensors are the same.

and the MAF,

not sure about the TPS.

the other thing to watch out for is the EGR.

the ej25 cars of the 90s need EGR.

so your replacement engine will need to have EGR.