Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Impreza 2.2 into 98 Outback OBD1/OBD2 - HELP!

I know that 2.2/2.5 swaps have been addressed repeatedly in these forums and believe me when I say that I've read through them extensively looking for answers. Maybe I've read too much, because now I'm a bit confused.

I posted this over at SubaruOutback.org, but haven't had any success as of yet.  I could really use some of your collective wisdom/expertise.  I'll try to be brief:

I have a 98 Outback with a blown 2.5 (timing belt). I have found a 95 Impreza 2.2 motor with 106K that I would like to have installed.

My previous understanding was that any 95 EJ22 motor would bolt directly in. But in my reading I found multiple references to EGR and OBD1/OBD2 and now I'm worried that the Impreza EJ22 will not easily swap.

If the Impreza motor is OBD1, will it still work or do I need more parts? I live in Ohio, so I'm not worried about smog issues (if that matters). I am having a mechanic do the swap, so I need this to be as easy as possible and I need to make sure that I order any additional parts required ahead of time (assuming I need any parts other than the motor).

Before I spend the $450 on this motor, I need to know for sure if this is going to work, or if it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined, so I guess I'm looking for a little hand-holding.

You guys have helped me tremendously in the past, so I really appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

Thanks!

-Dan

Best to have an 2.2 with EGR and matching dual port exhaust.  Both of those issues can be overcome.  

Plug and Play.  Double check the harness connections.  If it was a early 95 really a 94, you could still use the engine, you would just need an intake from a 95 2.2

From what I've read over the years, even if it is a 94 the engine harness should plug into the body harness and work just fine. All the 95s I've laid hands on were obd2 but that's only a handful and it was a transition year so no guarantees. The only potential issue is a CEL from no egr which won't hinder performance, just be annoying on the dash.

When I lived in Cleveland, Ohio, there was e-check once a year. A car had to pass the emissions check to get new tags. Guess that for the Cleveland area, but may not apply to Columbus?

I have read on this forum that a OBD1 motor can be used (if that is your case) by bolting on OBD2 parts. I think it has to do mostly with an OBD2 intake manifold being swapped onto the motor. Someone on this forum can prolly tell you more specifics on this.

You will need to know that your mechanic is competent about bolting up your new engine to your tranny. I am guessing you have an auto tranny, and it is very important that the tranny gets properly "seated" before before being bolted up. Failure to do proper seating ruins the automatic transmission. You don't want to be buying a tranny because of a mechanics incompetence.

I received a reply to my thread on the Outback.org forum that I believe covers the main points, so I will post it here for posterity and so that any future "swapper" has more information for reference.  It was from Subaru Expert - "grossgary".  Here is his reply:

welcome, i travel to Canton frequently and through Columbus a few times a year.

1. ignore OBDi/OBDii stuff, that's completely meaningless for 1995 engines.

2. you have the right engine, 1995 EJ22 will bolt right up. with the EGR caveat:

A. if it's an automatic it will have EGR like your EJ25 and you're done, install it. 

B. if it's a manual transmission then it won't have EGR. it will still run and drive fine, but if you can't have a check engine light then you'll need to get one with EGR. 

***I doubt you'll want to do this but i would like to deliver some voodoo for eagleeye - if you wanted THAT engine from THAT supplier you could still use it by installing that engine and then getting any 1995-1998 EJ22 intake manifold WITH EGR. the intake will have EGR and you can then bypass the check engine light issues with some simple vacuum line plumbing even though your 1995 engine doesn't have EGR.

unfortunately that little trick is impossible, or simply is not going to be done, on an intake manifold that doesn't have EGR set up on it. so the intake manifold is the driving characteristic. 

With an EJ22 EGR intake manifold you can use any EJ22 (EGR or not) and even EJ18's. 

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

*** You use the EJ25 flexplate on the EJ22 - but that's almost always kept with the vehicle so the mechanic would probably swap that anyway. 

*** slap a $100 Gates timing belt kit on there from rockauto or amazon. new belt and pulleys.

Your EJ25 and this new EJ22 engine share the exact same oil pump, water pump, and all the timing pulleys - the tensioners are even interchangeable if you swap the bracket behind them. In the event that any of that is new on your EJ25, which seems unlikely since it seems the belt broke. 

Use a SUbaru water pump gasket, the cheap cardboard aftermarket ones suck.

On another note - Rooster2 raises a really good point about "seating" the transmission.  I was unfortunate enough to have just replaced this transmission about 2 months before the motor went kaput.  When I was researching my options there, I remember being told repeatedly about the seating issue and, consequently, had the car towed to a Subaru master mechanic to have the transmission installed.

This time I was planning on just using my "regular" local mechanic, because I hadn't even thought about the fact that the new motor would, once again, need to be seated to the transmission.  I'll look through some threads and print them out so that he has sufficient information to avoid any damage.  Or - is this such an intricate maneuver that it would be best to have the car towed to a Subaru mechanic (and probably pay a good deal more for the installation)?

One other question - Since this is a 95 - will the exhaust manifold bolt on without having to take one from the donor car...even though it's an Impreza and not a Legacy motor?

Thanks guys.  I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with my decision and looking forward to seeing my subaru back on the road....even though the worst of winter will gone by the time it's all finished.  I sure have missed the security and confidence of having all wheel drive.

you haven't said still whether it's an auto or manual.

auto will work great.

manual will give a check engine light for EGR which can't be remedied. 

1995 EJ22 exhaust is identical to EJ25's - so you don't need anything regarding exhaust.  ignore that issue for 1995's.

the torque converter is really simple and basically should remained seated when pulling the engine so this is a non-issue.

when pulling the engine - keep the torque converter from coming out - seperate the flexplate from it before separating the engine and trans.  having been apart so soon, this should be almost guaranteed or at least very simple. in the event that it did pull out:

1.  with the engine installed the flexplate and torque converter should never touch.  the torque converter/flexplate bolts draw them together after the engine is installed.

2.  i think lots (all?) vehicles need the torque converter properly installed, this shouldn't be hard for your mechanic.

there's a fantastic thread on here with picture of fully seated and partially seated TC's.

Edited by grossgary

I know what you are going through! I am doing a swap also and got really confused with all the numbers,letters and terms about Subarus I did not understand. I also was looking at buying an engine out of a 95 Impreza but was not sure if it was a obd1 or obd2 obd stands for on board diagnostic, The wrecking yard could not tell me and I was not going to drive 500 miles to get an engine that I would have to then find another in take manifold to make it work if it was wrong, Who knows where I would have to go to find that. So I got back on line and found an engine out of a 95 legacy w/auto tranny with egr  and dual port heads,so it will plug right in! It had a few more miles on it but was $150 less and the freight was way less so I am having them ship it to me. Don`t worry I am sure if yours is an obd1 where you live it should not be a problem to find the other intake. With all these helpful people on usmb you will be fine. I live out in Montana and there are not any wrecking yards close and the ones closest to me did not have what I wanted so thats why I had to look else where to find mine.  Good luck to you and your swap.

I just read a post that was sent to me for my question about a 95 Impreza 2.2   Subaru nut said that your motor should be obd2, with egr if it came out of a car with automatic tranny and should also have dual port exhaust, He said that is the only way they came in 95 so you should be golden!!   Good luck and once again thank you to all you helpful wonderful people out there. We newbies will get there eventually.  God Bless

You guys are all AMAZING! Extra special thanks to you, grossgary, for really going above and beyond to answer my questions. In my excitement I must have overlooked your question about the transmission. I am elated to report that my subaru, in fact, is an automatic, so I should be in great shape. By the way...excellent recommendation with rock auto. Wow, are they cheaper than anybody else, and by a mile. Looks like I've found a new source for parts for my Suburban as well. Thanks again!!