Ultimate Subaru Message Board

theoretical towing question

Hey All!

I've seem receiver hitches for my '89 DL wagon, believe they are class I. I also know they make adapters to use 2" class II & III hitches with class I receivers. 

My question is this; I have a 5' x 8' utility trailer. It's pretty light, I can move it by hand. Would it be possible/advisable to tow this trailer from western Nebraska, to Minneapolis to pick up a Dana 60  rear end for another project?

Thoughts/opinions welcome. 

John

Would probably work fine, if you had an auto it would be nothing at all. I have a friend that tows a similar trailer with a gc impreza w5mt, to carry the cones for rallyx.

Couldn't be worse than loading your car up with 3-4 huge women, not that I have ever done such a thing.

• Like 2

You're probably okay. I have a hitch on my Loyale wagon, and have towed a few times. To me, I don't notice the weight on a trailer as much as I notice weight in the car. Like, I've towed an EA82 transmission on my trailer before. I'd imagine the transmission weighs a couple hundred pounds, followed by the 150 lbs of the trailer. I didn't even notice the trailer behind. Also loaded up my trailer when we moved. Probably had a good 500 lbs on it, at least.

I've also hooked up a 1700 lb pop-up camper to my car. That, I could feel. But it towed it alright, but stopping was kinda sketchy. All in all, if the combined weight of the load and trailer are under 1300 lbs, you're probably okay. Maybe a little more weight if you had rear disc brakes. But since you have a DL, you have rear drums.

Also, keep in mind tongue weight too. I wouldn't go much more tongue weight than say, 150 lbs. Otherwise the rear suspension will be really compressed, and handling will be off. Besides, most of the hitches available are only rated for 200 lb max tongue weight.

Again, this is just my experience. I've noticed that towing 400 lbs is about the same as throwing a 180 lb passenger in the front. At least in terms of performance/handling differences. 

U could put a tarp down and put in the back and go.

Ive never towed with a soob but have towed with about every other kind of car and if u remember a few basics u will be fine.

Tongue weight needs to be 20% of the trailer load (so 2000lb load should have 400lb tongue weight)(1000lb = 200lb tongue)

Braking is reduced by ~1% per 10lb very's car to car thats about averages

There lots of other stuff but those are the most important

Load it and secure it right leave room to stop get a run at hills if its safe to do so.

With that said ive towed a pinto with a pinto no probs

Tranny temp would be my only concern with an auto trans its a killer of transmissions

i would more concerned with that then any other factor of weight change the fluid and, or, as well, add a 2nd small cooler

I have towed a Zieman motorcycle trailer with a full size Harley from Indiana to California, about 1200 lbs. with my wifes Forester. Would have been nice to have a little more power, but it did ok with no problems. I have towed our Tear Drop camping trailer with her Forester also, and plan to tow it with my 1984 wagon. You should be ok with the light towing that you are going to do.

the question is never "can i tow this", it's simply a matter of increasing risk and wear and tear.

towing once is no big deal, so on something that sounds rather small and light i'd totally do it.

if it's flatland you can tow significantly more than mountains.  far less heat generated and work being done and easy driving.  EA82's are low on power so drive and plan accordingly.

Thanks Guys!

"I Break Stuff", I read your comment to my wife and we both got a good chuckle out of that. Gotta be a story there! lol

According to Wikipedia, a Dana 60 should weigh in around 500 lbs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_60

I doubt I'll get my wife to go with me, so just me and some tools. Should be reasonably flat thru the route I'll take. 

My DL has a 5 spd, so if I don't roast the clutch, heat shouldn't be an issue. 

I'd take my ranger, but it gets really creepy has mileage. Plus, if all goes well, I'll have A/C in the Sub after April!

John

If it weren't for the distance I would say just stuff it in the back of the car with a tarp,because towing a trailer JUST for a dana 60 is overkill and a PITA for the hassles involved.On the other hand to actually get a dana 60 in the back of a wagon your gonna need to bring an engine hoist so that will take up a good portion of room.Unless you and a couple of friends are beefcakes and can bench press a dana 60.

I had a 3at Loyale back in high school and with me, my sister and 2 friends and their football equipment it was a tad over 800lbs. Interstate travel would have been impossible, that car was an absolute slug with anymore than a couple people in it. I have towed a 700lb trailer with my 2wd 5spd DL with an EA71 and that did OK, but hills would have been really hard. I would say it did better than the 3at Loyale though but not by a very large margin.

If you have a 5spd you'll probably be fine. Hell even the 3at will get the job done... I think a dana 60 only weighs around 300lbs.