Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brakes upgrade - XT Turbo - any ideas ?

Hi !

As you see, the question is how to improve the braking on the original XT Turbo without conversion to 5 lugs and a larger diameter of the wheels. 
Originally brakes don't stop especially and you can't rely on them during emergency braking.

I read here and on other forums about changing calipers to the Nissan's 200\240 or Honda's Accord 92' - but the callipers almost same size like the XT's so the change isn't really helping. 

Does anyone have any ideas or made ​​any adjustments and upgrade the brakes while keeping the original wheels inch (13-inch) ?
I'd like for any opinions and help !

that's be things like best grade brake pad material, slotted/cross drilled discs if available. A fluid change always helps and oddly I found with one vehicle non Sube gave better pedal feel at least, was with new hydraulic lines !

The Brakes stops Pretty Good on my Subie, despite the Added Weight, Lift + 15" rims and 25" tires. Usually the Brake system on these Subarus does Not get properly bled, due to its cross pattern not followed as it should be done...

Maybe your Subie's brakes aren't properly Bled and / or they need new Shoes - Pads.

... changing calipers to the Nissan's 200\240 or Honda's Accord 92' ...

That is NOT for Brake Upgrading, that swap is for obtaining Rear Parking Brake, instead the Stock Front Parking Brake.

Details here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/129779-the-definitive-rear-e-brake-retrofit-solution/

Kind Regards.

Upgrading the braking system on these is unfortunately not straightforward.

In order to increase braking capacity, you can either increase the diameter of the rotor, increase the swept area or for longevity, increase the heat dissipation/cooling ability of the system.

On these captive-rotor systems, it's difficult to change out the rotor since no other manufacturer used the same hub and bolt pattern for the discs and converting them would require changing the whole spindle.

The other option would be to increase the swept area which means using larger pads, which means larger calipers. Larger calipers means different brackets and a different master cylinder.

I HAVE been looking at honda accord/civic captive rotors from the 90s to see if the bolt pattern would be the same, the discs are more available and larger from my specs... So the brackets would be the only thing we'd have to change... it's a work in progress.

Anyway, short answer, no. The brakes are what we've got unless you upgrade the base design.

Thanks for the comments ! 

I'll try to do a full renew to brake system as you recommended and retrieval with updates!

By the way, anyone have good recommendations for pads and rotors ? anyone experienced with ceramic pads and has a recommendation before I buy ? what about this pads : Click here

and maybe drilled/slotted rotors? - Click here

Thank you guys !