Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help: Swap analog to digital dash!

Karhu

On my 88 GL-10 with green Digidash, there is an internal jumper wire for MPH. It's pretty obvious once the cluster is opened up. Unplugging this jumper will display speed in KPH. It would be easy to extend this wire outside the cluster to a switch.

As mentioned the odometer will still be in miles.

This one has the speed MPH - km/h switch on the cluster & it works. Will test the other functions today.

Tested turbo & auto range functions:

IMG_6671_zpseb19df01.jpgIMG_6665_zpscf100e10.jpg

There is no 'ride height' wire in the connector for that function. Electronics may be there on the cluster circuit board, but without dissection I would not know.

This 'gift horse' sure has had a lot of oral examination. :D

Edited by czny

I'd say that the "jumper" inside the cluster would have to switched before the "degrees C" indicator would show.

Or maybe there's another jumper inside?

The only country I can think of that would have Degrees C with MPH is the UK. Canada?

Everywhere else is full metric or full imperial.

• 1 month later...

I have an idea.

Is there anyone near czny, who have/could get the correct fuel level sender, and could sell it and send to me in the same package as the other parts? :)

Karhu,

I have searched & there are just no 85-86 gl-10 wagons in this area for donors.

Here's a listing on Ebay that might be the one, but I can't & won't guarantee it for the seller, or buyer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-85111GA145-GENUINE-OEM-FACTORY-ORIGINAL-FUEL-GAUGE-SENDING-UNIT-/181117077947?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1986|Make%3ASubaru|Model%3AGL-10&hash=item2a2b6b49bb&vxp=mtr

What year/models have the digidash? I'll keep an eye out for dash clusters.

Orange digidash in 85-86 & green digidash 87 - up to 89(?)

Karhu has some Subarus which he'd like to convert to digidashes. He's also wanting the fuel senders & other parts for these.

In order to make the conversion complete he needs ALL the digidash accessories including instrument cluster harness, trip computers, outside temp senders, etc.

The one in these pics was being tested for one of his cars. I'm repairing a 86 GL-10 digidash instrument cluster harness for this same cluster. When done, the whole set of parts are being shipped through a broker in Los Angeles to Finland. I will not be involved with the US customs aspect of it. Don't want to either. Once delivered to the broker, I'm done with it.

If everything else for that 88 GL-10 digidash is there, he might be interested. Karhu is not a frequent visitor to USMB from what I've seen.

It should be entirely complete. I actually bought the car for it's very clean interior, to swap the carpet and seats into my Loyale, just need to get the EJ swap running to get it home. But the Dash, and everything is all complete.

It should be entirely complete. I actually bought the car for it's very clean interior, to swap the carpet and seats into my Loyale, just need to get the EJ swap running to get it home. But the Dash, and everything is all complete.

Karhu was just here today....if he's sincere I wish he'd speak up. :mellow:

I am also interested in this and I have (2) of the orange clusters. Would you share some pointers on troubleshooting the digital clusters on the bench?

Sure.

I'll have to move the digidash project - working in direct sun is just not much fun. When I get it set up again I'll shoot some more pics & post.

My last visit was quickly, and with my poor language skills it's not possible to post long answers without translation help. :mellow:

My project car really needs whole digidash system, because there in Finland, those cars came with very poor options, and that's why i want to do upgrades now.
My car is '87 3-door coupe, but i want use 85-86 model's dash because it looks better.

Fuel sender is only thing that missing of czny's stuff.

I think model year it's not so important with fuel senders, main thing is that it's pulled from digidash vehicle. Bratman18, if you can sell fuel sender, i'm interested. If you can deliver it via czny, it should be awesome. Only one shipping for all parts should be ideal way get this stuff, i don't want pay twice shipments or customs.

Bratman18, i'd like to see some some pictures from inside of your car. Specially, how trip computer buttons are located in your'88 car. :)

Karhu,

I have searched & there are just no 85-86 gl-10 wagons in this area for donors.

Here's a listing on Ebay that might be the one, but I can't & won't guarantee it for the seller, or buyer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-85111GA145-GENUINE-OEM-FACTORY-ORIGINAL-FUEL-GAUGE-SENDING-UNIT-/181117077947?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1986|Make%3ASubaru|Model%3AGL-10&hash=item2a2b6b49bb&vxp=mtr

Karhu,

This seller ships worldwide.

Try contacting him through Ebay to see what he has to offer. Please.

Karhu,

This seller ships worldwide.

Try contacting him through Ebay to see what he has to offer. Please.

OK, i need first check the part number, and if it's correct, i will try to buy from him.

OK, i need first check the part number, and if it's correct, i will try to buy from him.

I'm not sure of that sender. My catalog says that correct part numbers could be

85111GA153 or 85111GA215

i made some searches and one result says that  85111GA153 is for analog cluster:

http://www.buysubarupartsnow.com/subaru/gl-10/85111ga153/?year=1989&trim=turbo&engine=1-8l-h4-gas&group=air-and-fuel-delivery&subgroup=fuel-pumps-and-related-components&part_name=fuel-tank-sending-unit

i also search with ebay seller's part number:

http://www.buysubarupartsnow.com/oe-subaru/85111ga145?search_str=85111GA145

Note: price is same?

But this one is little more expensive:

http://www.buysubarupartsnow.com/oe-subaru/85111ga215?search_str=85111GA213

I have no idea, which is correct part for digital dash... :(

• 4 months later...

85111-GA144 = DL sender.....no lo fuel light

85111-GA152 = GL analog dash sender w/ lo fuel light

85111-GA213 = Digi dash sender for all digidash w/lo fuel light

This is from 85 parts catalog.....should work for all models although there may be other, newer #s that work for digidash too.

Edited by Gloyale

Thanks Gloyale!

Look in this interesting JDM brochure:

http://a15ff11300g.sakura.ne.jp/catalogue/AA%20leone/59.10%20leone%204wd%20series/large/59.10%20leone%204wd%20series.large.m.html

Look at dashboard, what is that little numeric display under tachometer? I believe that in this photo, there is all possible functions on screen.

I believe it is set cruise speed display when cruise control is on.  Japan only from what I know.

• 3 months later...

I am also interested in this and I have (2) of the orange clusters. Would you share some pointers on troubleshooting the digital clusters on the bench?

Sorry Crazyeights.

Many unfortunate things have happened since I last posted in this thread. I have boxed up the digidash & harness for shipping to Karhu. I won't unpack it, sorry. Its gone as far as I'm concerned. 

There is another new member from Chile asking questions on this conversion, but I just don't have time for it now.

Good luck to you all.