Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy awd front axle need help please

Back in December of this year while replacing my brakes I noticed my cv boot on passenger side was torn and lost grease

about a week later my car was shaking at high speed so I knew I hade to replace the axle. Between the cold weather and the fact I had to go away for 2 months for work I was not able to fix the problem.  Well as I was away my wife drove my car AWD is better in the snow. she said it was starting to make a crackleing noise when she turned left drivers side. But before I could tell her to stop driving the car somthing poped and  the car was not able to stay still in park. Since I was not home to fix the problem. she took it to her dads friend who is a very good mechanic he told her the axle was broke. With limited funds at the time he only replaced the drivers side cv axle. I did not know this becase my wife as a typical woman did not ask what work he did. She also told me that the dar still shook at high speeds. I figured it was alighnment since I was not there to see that the passenger sibe axle was not replaced. Well i came home today aafter 2 months and she proceeded to tell me  that the car is now making the crackleing sound when you turn right, so i took it for a ride and pop as i went to straighten the wheel after a right turn my right cv axle snaped now the car will not stay put in park again. my question is when the left side was replaced the car stayed put in park now that the right side is broke should'nt the car still remain in place in park or do I have a bigger issue than just a bad axle. or do I have to replace both axles again. I am confused.....

It may be because you have a open front diff and it wont lock in park if the axle is broken on one side.

A lot of times a parts store will sell reman'd axles and this will happen (early breakage).

Get new axles for the front and make sure the axle nuts get torqued to the correct specs.

*do not get an aftermarket axle, they're awful.

go to wwww.car-part.com and get a used Subaru OEM axle (green inner cup). i routinely get them for $25-$33.

Get one for a 2000-2004 Subaru legacy or outback and tap the outer tone ring off the end (hammer and stout screw driver is all that's needed - just tap it off - the big ring with teeth on it).  then it'll be exactly like yours but newer and have higher quality outer CV boot with more convolutions that will last longer.

***That being said, Subaru axle total failure is nearly unheard of. Two axles completely failing is basically impossible statistically speaking...unless you're offroading a 4" lifted rig with huge tires and locking diffs. If they were both aftermarket axles then maybe that's the problem, they're known to be problematic - though both having catastrophic issues is still weird.

If they are original Subaru axles the failure you describe is impossible and something else is wrong - which is causing this.

I'm wondering if the car has torque bind or some other binding issue - failing front diff - though then it wouldn't drift in park.

Edited by grossgary

Guys.......The new axle didn't break.....

Just the one that broke while he was gone was not hte side he expected........

You see.....both axles were bad......One just went a few months before the other.

It won't stay in park if EITHER front axle is broken.......since the open diff will spin on the broken side allowing the whole ring assembly to rotate while the Pinion is still locked.